Eco-Friendly Family
Options

S/o storage... What about for freezing food?

I've started cooking dried beans at home, to avoid BPA. But I'd love to cook lots at once, and freeze smaller amounts. I used to store freezer stuff in plastic, but that defeats the purpose of avoiding canned beans! So, what do you freeze stuff in?

Re: S/o storage... What about for freezing food?

• Options
    Same as for refrigerating -- Pyrex, anchor, canning jars. Freeze the beans (or berries, etc.) on a cookie sheet, then poor into container and take out just how much you need (they defrost fast, too).
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    I'll have to try freezing them dry-- I'd read to freeze beans in their cooking liquid, and then drain and rinse like canned beans. I worried about freezing liquid in a glass container, but if the beans are dry I won't need to worry about expanding. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I purchased a large set of BPA air tight seal containers on Amazon. I store everything in them now. They are great and come in so many sizes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I use bpa free ball plastic canning jars, but I'd still like to find a better alternative that isn't plastic. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageErinE683:
    I'll have to try freezing them dry-- I'd read to freeze beans in their cooking liquid, and then drain and rinse like canned beans. I worried about freezing liquid in a glass container, but if the beans are dry I won't need to worry about expanding. 
    I'm not sure about the bean liquid; i just add a little more if i need it.  Regarding freezing liquids in glass, i just leave enough room at the top for expansion (~1"), use wide-mouth jars and defrost in the fridge or at room temperature (wait to heat until it's room temp).
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    I freeze soups and leftovers in glass ball canning jars. I buy the plastic lids (not sure if they have BPA) but the metal lids work well too. I have the short jars and the taller ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"