Postpartum Depression
Options

PPD/PPA symptoms 17 mos out. Still considered PP?

I'm realizing that since DD's birth 17 mos ago, I've been experiencing PPD/PPA (prob a combo of both). It started as soon as she was born, and I definitely struggled, but I never got treatment. I kind of thought it was just hormones, normal difficulty adjusting to being a new mom and SAHM, etc. DH is a resident too, so our situation is a little extreme b/c it's ALL me when it comes to parenting and DD is a very high maint gal, lol. But, with time and research, I've realized that I should have seen a doc and discussed what I was going through. The thing is, while I'm SO much better, and more and more like myself (just from time), I still have some lingering things going on (mainly still feel more irritable and anger-prone than I ever was pre-baby (just not like me), and I still don't like being alone with DD (which is crazy b/c DH works 98% of the time so it's always just me and DD!)). I love and enjoy so much of our time together, yet every morning that it's going to be another whole day and night alone, I wake feeling nauseous and irritable/slightly panicky. It dissipates pretty quickly and then most days are awesome, but what the heck is up with this?? I don't feel like that when I have company coming or plans with family, or when DH is home. It has nothing to do with sharing parenting responsibilities b/c it's usually all me anyway. I just wish these lingering things would dissipate on their own. So, main question: If the changes/symptoms started upon delivery but still exist to some degree 17 mos out, is it still considered PPD/PPA? Also, can you be on most PPD/PPA meds while preggo or BFing? I'm assuming not. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PPD/PPA symptoms 17 mos out. Still considered PP?

• Options
    I think that if PPD?Anxiety goes left untreated, it can take a loooooooong time to go away, if at all. My daughter is 16 months, and even with great a dr, therapist, and good meds, I still have days that aren't easy. The OBYN or GP might not call it "post partum" because it's past a year, but it definitely could be if you've been feeling it for quite some time and haven't been treated. Call your doctor this week, and tell them how you feel! I promise that with time and the right help, you'll be feeling better fast! Best of luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I actually am going to a the Dr on Tuesday to talk about PPD also. I have so much anxiety and cannot focus for the life of me. I have a 16 mo old ds and I am not one who likes to take meds. When I was preggo I got kidney stones and didn't take anything not even Tylenol till after I went to the Dr and he told me when I had. It was horrible and I finally took tylonal. Just me though but I was trying to get over it myself and not really say much. i opened up to dh and he was very supportive and is really noticing some things I need help with. I am nervous to go because I have no insurance so I hope meds aren't too high.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Some doctors consider it still PPD if you haven't weaned, some will not. I finally got help when Ari was 18 months old & the doctor just labeled it Major Depression & Generalized Anxiety, even though he was still BFing. I wasn't super concerned as treatment is the same. 

Almost all antidepressants are safe while BFing. My psychiatrist allowed me to have Ativan since Ari was only nursing once a day at that point & instructed me to leave x number of hours between taking it & nursing. We tried xanax at first & I found that even the smallest dose knocked me out too much & seemed to make Ari tired even if I had 12 + hours between taking it & nursing, so we switched to Ativan. I only took it if I really needed it. Since I'm pregnant, I can't take it at all anymore, but I do take BuSpar daily. It's category B during pregnancy, not sure of the category during lactation.  

• Options

I was diagnosed with PPA at 15m PP. I had anxiety over my LOs sleeping/eating mostly, but it evolved until I was having panic attacks and not sleeping at all. I would get an appointment. There are generic meds of most anti Depressants, which should be cheaper. 

I have heard that Buspar is safe during pregnancy, but perhaps just focus on the present moment about getting help for you. I'm also signed up to take a mindfulness stress reduction class in April.

I also find that the weather really adds to my anxious feelings. So I try to make sure I get outside even if it's just in the front yard. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"