Adoption
Options

private adoption

Hey bumpies! My hubby and I have a question for ya. My best friend is well under 30 and already has 4 children. The other day she found out to her horror that she is AGAIN approx. 8 weeks pregnant for a 5th. She cannot afford or handle this baby. Her boyfriend wanted her to get an abortion. My husband of 2 years and I are in our 40's and I had my tubes removed 11 years ago and my husband has no children of his own due to not wanting to pass on a genetic condition he has. But we really would like a baby of our own.  We asked my friend about adopting her baby and she was just thrilled and her BF is all for the idea as well.  We need to know from all of you how we're supposed to go about this private adoption? What all does it entail and what should be our first step? HELP!!!!

Re: private adoption

• Options

How exciting!  Most attorneys/agencies don't match adoptive parents and birth parents until later in the pregnancy to allow birth parents time to process as well as time for the pregnancy to progress.  I would recommend two equally important things: 

1) find a local attorney to handle the adoption- you could use an agency but at this point would likely be easier with a local adoption attorney and less money.  You're attorney can help you get set up in a home study process and any state mandated processes.

2)  Find an adoption counselor for your friend to speak with.  This way she can work through feelings/fears/etc and also know what options she has in terms of resources if she feels she really wants to parent. 

Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"