Baby Showers

Shower far from home...

I was asked this question and wondered if anyone else here is running into the same problem. I live in Chicago (moved recently) and will be having my shower back home in NY. We plan on flying to NY having the shower and renting a minivan to drive home with the gifts. I was asked how it should be worded on the invite or a separate card in the envelope that larger presents or presents in general can be shipped to our home in IL...my hosts feel that simply saying "gifts can be sent to blah blah" is tacky (and I kinda agree.) With having a larger shower I'm afraid we won't be able to get everything home. I just don?t see a solution to the problem. Have any of encountered this? What are your girls thoughts?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Shower far from home...

• I had this problem with my bridal shower. I grew up in MA but live in OH now so I went home for the shower. IMO, sometimes practicality just overrules etiquette. Yeah, it's kind of tacky, but your guests know you live halfway across the country and I don't think they'd be put off by including your address especially since so many people order gifts online anyway and it means you can spend more time with them at the shower and less time opening gifts.

For the bridal shower, the invitations included an insert that said something like, "J + J are living in Ohio. If you would like to have your well-wishes mailed directly to them, please send to: 123 Fake street". It managed to avoid the word "gift" somehow. I agree it was kind of tacky, but there was no feasible way to get all the stuff back, and almost everyone shipped their gifts -- like I said, a lot of people buy online now.

Or you could plan to have a friend take some stuff in her car and return it for you so you can re-purchase it when you get home.

• imagetheresat858:

All of the people invited to a shower should be close enough to you that they know where you live. (Anyone who is not a close enough friend or relative to know that you live in a different state is not close enough to be invited to a shower, IMO).

Given that, you should assume that people have some common sense. 

Or, you could return the larger items in NY and buy them again in Chicago. 

ETA: And if you have registries online, they should be able to easily send gifts to the registry address you give the registry.

This. I have a problem asking people who already are taking their time and money for you and asking them to spend MORE money.  Getting the gifts home is your responsibility.  
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • imageEastCoastBride:
    imagetheresat858:

All of the people invited to a shower should be close enough to you that they know where you live. (Anyone who is not a close enough friend or relative to know that you live in a different state is not close enough to be invited to a shower, IMO).

ETA: And if you have registries online, they should be able to easily send gifts to the registry address you give the registry.

This. I have a problem asking people who already are taking their time and money for you and asking them to spend MORE money.  Getting the gifts home is your responsibility.  

Just because they know you live out of state doesn't mean they know your address. And it costs just as much to ship to her as it does to ship to them, if they're going to buy it online anyway. /shrug

• imagetheresat858:

This.  Asking guests to ship gifts is tacky, no matter how you word it.

BFP #1: 2/14/11. EDD: 10/20/11. Missed m/c discovered in April at 12 weeks, d&c. BFP #2: 12/27/11. EDD: 9/9/2012.
  • imageEastCoastBride:
    imagetheresat858:

This...all of it.

• We are living in FL, but all the family is in MI. Driving is out of the question for us. We had to put something about sending larger gifts to the house, but we are also doing the diaper raffle, so people that send a gift don't have to feel like they are coming empty handed. I am also making a photo collage. Each gift that I get at the house will be set up, posed for photos, etc. and put on a big poster board for all to see. That way, people get to see all the nice things, and I can still personally thank every gift giver.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesadie+w:
    imagetheresat858:

This.  Asking guests to ship gifts is tacky, no matter how you word it.

100% agree.  

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"