TTC after 35

Anyone else having/or have had a mental hang up about weight loss?

A little background I guess...

When I got married at 34 I was right in the normal BMI range.  But was a heavy smoker.  My DH & I finally quit together Jan 2008 (a few months later). Thankfully, I haven't smoked since.  But over time, by the time I got pregnant with Simon in June 2009, I had gained 50 lbs.  I was not exercising.  May not believe me, but I was trying to watch what I ate over that time, but between a big shift in metabolism in my 30s,  not exercising, and trying to fight off those cravings I did gain quite a bit of weight.  I then gained 45 lbs during my pregnancy, after having my son I lost 20, then started (slowly) really getting into a workout routine and counting calories and lost another 30.  So I am now - and have been - back down to the weight I was before I got pregnant the first time.  But I am FAR from done my weight loss journey.  

Now that I am TTC again, I am just all mentally messed up about it all.  I am definitely watching what I'm eating, although I admit not counting calories as carefully.  I am still exercising regularly, but not with the intensity or discipline I did when I was really trying to lose weight before.  I can't seem to pinpoint the exact reason behind why I'm having so much trouble now.  But I guess partly since I'm not sure what my body's going to be doing - whether or not I will get pregnant or not - it's kind of deflated my whole sense of motivation for weight loss.  It's like I don't want to get all focused and disciplined on it only to know I'm going to gain so much again if I get pregnant again.  But who knows when/if I even will get pregnant again!  I feel good that I am at least doing some exercise regularly now instead of none like before.  And I plan to be WAY more conscious of what/how much I'm eating if I do get pregnant...

But I'm kicking myself all the time because I should be getting my body in better shape because it would be healthier and better all around for many reasons.  But in addition to what I've already said above, I also don't want to introduce a more intense routine since I've not been doing it for a while.  So I fear that could be bad for early stages of pregnancy if I'm trying to amp up a work out routine I'm not used to.  :(:(   I don't feel like I have a lot of time left for TTC.  I really didn't want to be TTC past May, my 39th bday.   

Just wondering if anyone else out there is having any of this kind of mental conflict about being on a goal for losing weight while also TTC.

Thanks for reading my vent! 

dream 1 CAME TRUE 2.13.2010

<dream 2> 12.2011

2.10.12 : 4 weeks

6.17.12 : 10 weeks

10.10.12 : 4 weeks, 6 days

12.13.12 : 9 weeks, 1 day

4.6.13 : 4 weeks, 4 days

10.27.13 : 5 weeks, 6 days

4.2.14 (IVF #1) : 4 weeks, 1 day

6.19.14 : IVF #2 Negative

</dream 2>

resolve.org

AMA, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, heterozygous MTHFR

"all it was was a fairytale and devotion to a dream"

lyrics

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
***All always welcome!!***

Re: Anyone else having/or have had a mental hang up about weight loss?

• Oh, Yeah!!!  I've been TTC for almost 15 years and for the last 5 my dr has been telling me that the only thing standing in my way is my weight (every other test he does says I am in peak health for conceiving).  Last year I had no problem jumping on the weight loss band wagon.  In 5 months I lost 25 lbs and jumped started my cycles again.  I then fell off the wagon with my healthy eating and while I haven't gained the weight back (yet!), I am noticing my body slipping back into its annovulatory ways.  But I just can't get my health mojo back (that marathon ticker you see below, I have yet to start training).  What is especially hard is when two women at work who weigh more than me (one by more than 100 lbs and the other is the same age as me - 38) both got their BFP without even trying.  When I see them its easy to forget that weight is my hurdle to get over.  My advice...one I'm trying to take as well...is forget "weight loss" and stressful exercise.  Go for the healthy eating. When it's fruits and vegies who cares how much you eat.  At least its the good-for-you stuff.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was just talking to my husband about this last night.

For Lent (hilarious since I'm a Jew :P) I gave up slothiness, mainly because I literally have not exercised regularly since before the conception of my daughter who is now 3.5. The main issue for me is that I have spectacularly crappy sleepers for kids so, since I haven't slept through the night since she was born, I'm so tired at the end of the day that I can't figure out how the heck I would get a workout in. I figured that if I spent 40 days doing at least 20 minutes on the elliptical every night, I would be back in the swing of things and at least getting a mild cardio workout so I would be less likely to keel over dead randomly.

Right at this same time, though, we're trying for #3, and I worry that introducing even this mild exercise routine is going to make things much harder -- I've already seen my O date move out this cycle, making it my latest ever. So, that is nagging at me bigtime. But I feel like... I am SO sedentary already (I am a programmer), my last pregnancy was much more physically demanding than my first because of the stretched-out-ab-muscle thing that #1 gave me (love that kid ;) ), I need to do something so I'll not fall over should we actually get pregnant...

D'oh!

Anyway, I'm with ya on the mental conflict thing. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you all SO much for your replies and sharing your stories.  It's obviously a struggle we're all dealing with... and really a conflict about what to do about it when you're TTC!  I guess there are no easy answers.  What is it my best friend always tells me?  "Nothing worthwhile is ever easy."  Lol :)

But I think I'm am just going to do what missymr is going to try - just get in that 2 mile walk or get in a mediocre elliptical for 30 minutes every day one way or another.  I think that should be enough to get me into a routine and at least help my stamina somewhat without throwing my body so out of whack while TTC.  

Good luck to all of you on BOTH journeys of weight loss and TTC.  I really, really appreciate your sharing your experiences.   

dream 1 CAME TRUE 2.13.2010

<dream 2> 12.2011

2.10.12 : 4 weeks

6.17.12 : 10 weeks

10.10.12 : 4 weeks, 6 days

12.13.12 : 9 weeks, 1 day

4.6.13 : 4 weeks, 4 days

10.27.13 : 5 weeks, 6 days

4.2.14 (IVF #1) : 4 weeks, 1 day

6.19.14 : IVF #2 Negative

</dream 2>

resolve.org

AMA, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, heterozygous MTHFR

"all it was was a fairytale and devotion to a dream"

lyrics

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ***All always welcome!!***

• I am also having the same mental problem as you are. I have been overweight since I was little. I have been at my current weight for 15 years. I have tried the diet thing and it works to a point but I always seem to be hungry. I burn out on exorcise because I go too big too fast.  It is a bit hard for me to get my mind around the fact that I would feel better when I don't really feel badly. My mind talks itself out of exorcise every time I start to be active again.

I am worried as well that if I were to try to get into some kind of exorcise I would enjoy and keep up with that it will keep me from getting pregnant. To top everything off I get pissed every time that my doctor says I am obese. I can't see myself losing the 75 pounds they would like me to lose with out looking sick and losing my curves. I mean I am a size 14, since when is that obese?

To top everything else, my husband just had weight loss surgery and has lost 100 lbs. I have been eating the same things he has and same portion size and still sit on the same weight. It just makes me shake my head.

Thank you for letting me rant. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"