Trying to Get Pregnant

Worst thing to see in your OBGYN's waiting room...

So, I come in to my docs waiting room to get the results of my u/s and figure out why I have been bleeding for over a month.  There is a nice little sign at the desk announcing that my doctor is running 60 minutes behind!  Grrrr!
TTC #1 10/2011 || Diagnosed PCOS 5/2012 || SA - Normal! || HSG - Clear!
Starting Metformin 5/2012
BFP 6/25/2012!! EDD 3/7/2013!! IT'S A BOY!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Worst thing to see in your OBGYN's waiting room...

• I get very stabby when I have a doctor's appointment and they are running behind.  Grr.
    Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby
  • I know it sucks, but he could also be on call at the hospital... Maybe he had an emergency or something. Take a deep breath... FX you get answers!
  • Loading the player...
  • 60 min? Yikes. Hopefully they can get you in quicker than that!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh, that sucks! I hope the rest of your day is better.

Mom to 4 wonderful children: T(8), B(6) ,M(3), and A(1)
    baby #5 due 12-07-14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • The thing that sucks about that is that if you were 60 minutes late, they probably wouldn't see you. I understand that emergencies come up, but it would be nice if the office would call you to tell you to come in later. I know that's a pipe dream, but a girl can wish, right?
  • That sucks. I had to do that last time bc mine was delivering a baby. I didn't mind though because I would hope he would do that for me someday.
  • Unfortunately not delivering a baby.  They've been calling people back for her since I've been here.  She has a tendency to do this occasionally per the receptionist...

ETA wording

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm always so tempted to ask them if I should leave and then charge them $25 for the missed appointment.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow!  That sucks! 
    party-fails-crunk-critters-bruce-isnt-good-with-tequila
    see more After 12
    Just because something isn't happening for you right now doesn't mean it will never happen.
    IUI #1 - BFN IUI #2 - BFN
    IVF - Starting injects May 25 IVF #1 - BFP!
  • imageMonsterBean3815:

Unfortunately not delivering a baby.  They've been calling people back for her since I've been here.  She has a tendency to do this occasionally per the receptionist...

ETA wording

That doesn't mean that the Dr. didn't deliver the baby earier & now is trying to catch up.

I know one time I was in the room, waiting (with the paper robe on) for my dr. then I hear from outside the door that there was a girl that had to come up from her u/s and she had loss the baby. It was at least 20 min before my Dr came back to me.

Of course they can't tell you why they are running late because of hippa rules.

• This was one of the reasons I switched dr's offices. Once I waited 2 hours before being seen. If I'd known it was 60+ mins at the onset, I would have just rescheduled. 

BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've pretty much never not waited an hour at my OB's office for my appointments.  It stinks.  I've thought about switching but they have good reviews and they're on the bus line. I'm excited to see an RE for a change though.
  • imagenotquiteblushing:
    I've pretty much never not waited an hour at my OB's office for my appointments.  It stinks.  I've thought about switching but they have good reviews and they're on the bus line. I'm excited to see an RE for a change though.

i aallways wait at hte OB office... and even though you know they're running behind, you've still gotta show up on time b/c then otherwise they get mad you showed up late... I just bring my well-loaded Nook!!

Love: 08/04/2006
    Marriage: 10/02/2010
      Computer Hope
    Baby Carriage: 
    BFP#1 : 03.2012........MMC + D&C : 05.2012
    BFP#2 : 11.12.2012..........Born 07.17.2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Buggy List blog
  • imagekhays8785:

imagenotquiteblushing:
    I've pretty much never not waited an hour at my OB's office for my appointments.  It stinks.  I've thought about switching but they have good reviews and they're on the bus line. I'm excited to see an RE for a change though.

i aallways wait at hte OB office... and even though you know they're running behind, you've still gotta show up on time b/c then otherwise they get mad you showed up late... I just bring my well-loaded Nook!!

I think I will be doing that from now on!  Haha! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageGhostMonkey:

God forbid you be inconvenienced because someone else was having a more pressing medical issue.

You don't know that that's the case (and we don't know it isn't). I think being frustrated at having to wait an hour at the doctor's office is perfectly reasonable. Could be that the doctor is performing a life-saving procedure, could be that the doctor is like mine, perpetually stuck in morning rush hour traffic. 

And to the poster who mentioned HIPAA, I don't think that's applicable here. The doctor doesn't have to disclose whose baby they're delivering, but it would be nice if they'd make a general announcement that the doctor is running late due to a delivery. It's obnoxious to hold people hostage in your office with no explanation.

• imageGhostMonkey:
    imageelizabethtaylor944:
    imageGhostMonkey:

God forbid you be inconvenienced because someone else was having a more pressing medical issue.

You don't know that that's the case (and we don't know it isn't). I think being frustrated at having to wait an hour at the doctor's office is perfectly reasonable. Could be that the doctor is performing a life-saving procedure, could be that the doctor is like mine, perpetually stuck in morning rush hour traffic. 

And to the poster who mentioned HIPAA, I don't think that's applicable here. The doctor doesn't have to disclose whose baby they're delivering, but it would be nice if they'd make a general announcement that the doctor is running late due to a delivery. It's obnoxious to hold people hostage in your office with no explanation.

No, they cannot announce that. And if it is that rough, you reschedule when you walk in, or you ask the nurse how much longer and reschedule through the nurse if possible. Was that so tough to figure out?

Yeah she should totally walk out of there, continue to bleed and hope that she can carve out another three hours of her work week to see her doctor.  That's not annoying at all.

• If it were up to GhostMonkey we would all be walking around with mangled limbs because, hey, you don't need both arms.
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imagenotquiteblushing:
    imageGhostMonkey:
    imageelizabethtaylor944:
    imageGhostMonkey:

No, they cannot announce that. And if it is that rough, you reschedule when you walk in, or you ask the nurse how much longer and reschedule through the nurse if possible. Was that so tough to figure out?

Yeah she should totally walk out of there, continue to bleed and hope that she can carve out another three hours of her work week to see her doctor.  That's not annoying at all.

FWPs yo. FWPs.

Yeah pretty much. It's annoying, but it is what it is.  It happens all the time. A doctor is one person w/ a lot of patients and appointments get pushed.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Falling in Love!  November 2014
  • image*BlackSheep*:
    imageMonsterBean3815:

Unfortunately not delivering a baby.  They've been calling people back for her since I've been here.  She has a tendency to do this occasionally per the receptionist...

ETA wording

I know one time I was in the room, waiting (with the paper robe on) for my dr. then I hear from outside the door that there was a girl that had to come up from her u/s and she had loss the baby. It was at least 20 min before my Dr came back to me.

Sort of happened to me one time.  I was sitting in my thin little paper gown in the room waiting for the doc for nearly 40 minutes before someone finally came in and told me my doc was on a delivery and would be in shortly (another 20 minutes).  So I spent an hour hanging around in that stupid paper get up.  I suppose I could have tried to ask someone what was going on earlier, but I'm generally too chicken.

• I thought you were going to say, "a bunch of pregnant ladies." My doctor had me go in for an ultrasound after my miscarriage to make sure I was a-ok. Being around a bunch of pregnant ladies in the waiting room at that time was hard on me.

Sorry you're having to wait. I imagine you're eager to get your results. Hope all goes well. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Also a July 2013 Mom!
  • Whoa!  Didn't mean to cause all of this.  GM- you are right!  She could have been delivering a baby or doing something more important than seeing me.  Turns out, as she said in her own words "I'm always running about an hour or so behind".  Apparently, she spends a lot of time with her patients.  I benefitted from that today, so am sorry that I complained.  Reality check for me today.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMonsterBean3815:
    So, I come in to my docs waiting room to get the results of my u/s and figure out why I have been bleeding for over a month.  There is a nice little sign at the desk announcing that my doctor is running 60 minutes behind!  Grrrr!

Just curious what they said. I have this exact appt tomorrow. Ultrasound results for the exact same thing. Hope it went okay after the wait! Ugh! 

• imagex3Harmony534:

imageMonsterBean3815:

Just curious what they said. I have this exact appt tomorrow. Ultrasound results for the exact same thing. Hope it went okay after the wait! Ugh! 

Thanks for asking.  They are thinking it is PCOS.  She actually showed me my ovaries, which were covered in cysts!  I have slightly elevated testosterone, but nothing else abnormal on my b/w.  she started me on agestin to stop the bleeding.  Then I am to go in and have CD3 b/w.  From there, we will get a better plan of how to proceed with TTC.  Hope your appointment goes better than mine did!  PM me and let me know!  :) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMrs.DeliaMarieP:
    I'm always so tempted to ask them if I should leave and then charge them $25 for the missed appointment.

YESSS!!! 

4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

• Yuck! I get crabby when I have to wait 15 min. I'm spoiled with very short wait times.
  • imageMonsterBean3815:
    imagex3Harmony534:

imageMonsterBean3815:

Thanks for asking.  They are thinking it is PCOS.  She actually showed me my ovaries, which were covered in cysts!  I have slightly elevated testosterone, but nothing else abnormal on my b/w.  she started me on agestin to stop the bleeding.  Then I am to go in and have CD3 b/w.  From there, we will get a better plan of how to proceed with TTC.  Hope your appointment goes better than mine did!  PM me and let me know!  :) 

Yuck, sorry to hear that. Definitely not the best news. :( Do you have any other symptoms of it other than the cysts? My doctor didn't think that's what it is just because I don't have any other symptoms but who knows. I hope your blood work turns out okay and it's not PCOS (or anything of big concern) I've had cysts before for a long time and it doesn't necessarily have to effect TTC. I'll let you know tomorrow what they say. Hang in there, it's no fun! 

• imageGhostMonkey:
    imageelizabethtaylor944:
    imageGhostMonkey:

Why can't they announce that? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

ETA: The OP didn't say she walked in, saw the sign, and started flailing her arms about and screeching about not knowing what to do. Sometimes people vent about problems with easily recognizable solutions.

Also, I'm betting that if doctor's offices wanted to be more proactive about keeping patients notified of delays and the reasons for them, they could come up with a HIPAA-approved way of doing it. They choose not to.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"