Baby Showers

Long Distance Shower. Ideas and thoughts appreciated!

Hi Ladies! Hubby and I are military and we are stationed in Hawaii. My family is in Washington State and I am unable to fly home for a shower. But, my mother and Aunt are insisting upon doing something, so they are wanting to do a Skype Shower. This would be for close family only, aunts, cousins, sisters, and both my grandmothers probably around 15-20 people. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with doing a shower this way and if you have any ideas on what does or does not work. My mom is talking about having the family drop of any gifts they might want to send and then shipping them a few weeks before the "actual shower" so that I can open them on the webcam. I just don't know what else we would do when I am 2,000+ miles away so if any of you have done anything like this I would love to hear your thoughts so I can get them to my mom, or decide that I don't want the fuss before it's too late. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Long Distance Shower. Ideas and thoughts appreciated!

• https://www.creative-baby-shower-ideas.com/baby-shower-in-a-box-from-afar.html

There are a few ideas here. Perhaps your Mom could also send a "care package" ie. cookies, treats etc. and some balloons/streamers or other decorations? Hubby or a friend in Hawaii could set them up for you to make it more of a "showery" atmosphere?

I think it's a really nice gesture on behalf of your family. Best of luck and congratulations! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey great I will check that site out. Thanks for the input. I am sure my mom is working on ideas but I figured I should ask around and see what has worked for other mamas.
  • Loading the player...
  • Never been invited to a Skype shower but probably wouldn't go anyway since I think they are tacky.  Plus, the added expense of shipping gifts to you.  If I was family or a really close friend I'd probably send a gift card...but would do that anyway even if there was no shower at all.  Are you planning to go to Washington State after the baby is born?  Perhaps have a meet the baby party at that time?
  • I've been to two Skype showers, one this past weekend.

Both have been just family and were a way to celebrate with relatives across the country who could not come in for the shower - but people still wanted to throw a party, send gifts, etc.  Everyone sent shipped their gifts online (if you order as a group many sites (like Target) have free shipping over a certain amount, $50 at Target) or sent gift cards.

My recommendation is to not open gifts over Skype - we did that last weekend and it didn't really work well.  Nobody wanted to sit and watch a computer screen for an hour - couldn't hear the MTB, small screen, etc.  People ended up just wandering away.  The other Skype shower we Skyped with my cousin and her husband, she showed off the nursery, her belly, said thank you, etc.  It was an opportunity for people to see the MTB who hadn't in a while.  Worked really well.  The rest of the time we ate and chatted.

So in both cases the party was where all the people were and they partied in celebration of a new member of the family - the MTB Skyped in to join for a period of time.

• Well, in general, I am really not a fan at all of these showers.  At all.  And GreenMonkey's one experience is largely why!  You're on a computer.  You aren't there.  Everyone (supposedly) looking at a little screen to see you is going to get boring, and YOU are going to miss out on most of the "party" aspect of the shower too.  There is going to be a lot going on that you're simply not going to be privvy to.

This is why it just seems so pointless.

Also, to rhubarb's point - you know your family, we don't.  How do YOU feel this will be received?  I'm really trying to put myself in the shoes of receiving an invitation like this.  for someone TRULY close to me... maybe I could get on board.  I'm really not sure, to be honest.  For someone I'm not close to - I would find it REALLY tacky. 

I will say, though, the other experience GreenMonkey had could be "do-able".  if you can use it as more of a chance to take a few minutes to show everyone the nursery, maybe even your home in general if they've never seen it, then each person can take a few minutes to chat w/ you and catch up - for those who really are close to you, I can see them enjoying that. 

But I actually don't think I'd call it a shower.  I wouldn't make the focus about gifts.  I'd make it more of a "lets celebrate her PG and she'll skype in to talk to each of us for a little while" thing.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Thanks Ladies I appreciate your input. Greenmonkey thanks for sharing your experiences! I will be switching from the Mac to the Ipad so I can give the family a full tour of the nursery and whatnot. My mother will be having her computer hooked up to her 60" TV so I don't think that seeing or hearing me will be an issue. We have Skyped like this before and it works great! Those who are coming to the shower know me very personally so they understand our unique situation and want to do something to celebrate (WITH) me. As for shipping the gifts, my mother will be taking care of shipping any gifts that are purchased and everyone who will be coming has the common sense to know not to buy a large item to ship. Once again will NOT be inviting anyone I do not have a close and personal relationship with. I personally don't think that every aquaintance you or your family have ever made should be invited to a shower anyway. I think it should be a time to celebrate with "close" family and maybe a few long time friends but that is just my opinion. Both my grandmothers are very excited about it since they have never been able to travel to Hawaii and see our home and all. I am not the one who is calling it anything that would be my the job of the hosts so I will leave the "wording" up to them.
  • Personally, I think they are a bit weird and  inpractical.  My mom wants to do one for my SIL and I think it would be better to take the money we would have spent on a  shower and put it towards a better present.  I also don't see many people in my family attending if my SIL won't be there and those that do will probably bring something small like clothes or blankets.  But hey, that is just my opinion. 
  • Weird? How so? I have never heard this before. As for the gifts, I am expecting that most of the gifts will be clothes or blankets anyway. Hubby and I have purchased the larger items so this is not a concern, since we are the parents I would say we are responsible for this stuff anyway. Personally, if someone wants to give me a gift I will take it. Doesn't matter how big or small but hey that's just me. Sounds like our families are just different. Thanks for the input though.
  • atlbatlb member

imagekyleeduke:
    Weird? How so? I have never heard this before. As for the gifts, I am expecting that most of the gifts will be clothes or blankets anyway. Hubby and I have purchased the larger items so this is not a concern, since we are the parents I would say we are responsible for this stuff anyway. Personally, if someone wants to give me a gift I will take it. Doesn't matter how big or small but hey that's just me. Sounds like our families are just different. Thanks for the input though.

Seems like you didn't really want anyone's opinion. I, too, think these "showers" are strange and impractical. If you want to talk and catch up with people, call them on the phone. If you want to show them the nursery, send them pictures or post a video on youtube.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Really, you don't see how this would be weird?  I know I would think so if my ILs threw a shower like that for me in CA.  Why would I want them to have a shower for me when I can't be there ?  Again, I wouldn't say this but I would prefer they take the money the would have spent on throwing a shower and either save it or spend it on the gift. 
  • If you actually read my original post you can see that I in fact did not ask wether people thought it was appropriate or not. I only asked if you could share any experiences you have had. Fortunantly for me your "opinion" on the appropriateness or strangeness of this type of shower is not my concern. I respect your opinion, just don't share the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"