Attachment Parenting

wean or tandem nurse?

I am not sure what is best to do right now.  DD is fine if she doesn't nurse all day long.  We have skipped some days nursing and now it appears that I have completely lost my milk supply.  She will latch and and then begin to suck and it seems like she doesn't get anything.  The new baby is due in about 7 weeks and I'm afraid of jealousy when the new baby comes.  I wouldn't mind tandem nursing but not sure how that will work.  I have read that older babies can forget to nurse.  If she doesn't nurse for 7 weeks will she be able to when the new baby comes or will she have forgotten?  Is it best to still put her to the breast occasionally so she remembers or just give it up and see what happens?  Thanks for any advice you have!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: wean or tandem nurse?

• Have you read "Adventures in Tandem Nursing"? It's really good!

She can keep trying to nurse; you may get colostrum very soon. She might pick it up again after the baby comes if you let her, or she might not. It's up to you how you want to go forward.

• Thanks ladies!  I have Adventures in Tandem Nursing on the way.  I can't wait to get it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehheyderh:
    Thanks ladies!  I have Adventures in Tandem Nursing on the way.  I can't wait to get it!
    Good luck to you! I think tandem nursing is such a cool thing :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A bit of a different situation, but I have twins (they're 3y6mo now). Tandem nursing is the coolest thing. Not sure how it works with different ages, but looks like it's okay to do. GL and congrats on your newest LO!
  • I am currently tandem nursing my 30m old and 12m old while pregnant with #3. I was really nervous at first too but I found that it really helped with their bond as brother and sister. I dont think they would be as close as they are now if I didnt tandem nurse. It is a pain in the butt at times but I think it is worth at least trying. I recommend the book the Adventure of tandem nursing. It has so much information.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"