2nd Trimester

Pregnant with no Gallbladder

So I decided to post this on the 2nd tri board as I'm hoping you guys are in full pregnancy mode! :) We are ttc baby #3 and I recently had my gallbladder taken out and was wondering if any of you ladies have had any increased or new symptoms during your pregnancy related to having your gallbladder removed? I.e. increased dumping, more intense nausea/ vomiting, etc. I know everyone is different but I've heard horror stories about how worse everything is being pregnant. So I was just curious about other experiences.

Thanks!

Re: Pregnant with no Gallbladder

• I had lots of problems when I was pregnant with my first and started having gallbladder issues around 25wks. 2 months after my son was born I had it removed thankfully. This pregnancy has been soo much smoother so far. I was super sick and lost 20lbs with my first and had all day sickness for half my pregnancy. This time around I was sick for 4wks and thats it and it didn't a lot more intense this time. 

If you mean dumping as in going to the bathroom? If thats the case I had loose stools for a little while in the beginning, but that occured with my first as well. Now I am actually slightly constipated because of the iron in my pnv, which is normal in pregnancy so no changes there.  (Sorry for TMI) 

If you mean dumping as in gastric dumping (my mom had a gastric bypass and has to deal with this) then I have never had a problem with this after my surgery and haven't experienced it in this pregnancy yet either.  

Good luck TTC!!  

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • I had my gb removed 19yrs ago. My morning sickness was pretty bad between weeks 7 and week 22. I have had constipation (no loose stools) that is totally resolved with 1 colace a day. I do find that I have very bad heartburn daily and I tend to make this noise that isn't a burp, but a "ERP" and it feels like my stomach is lurching. Sometimes there's bile that comes up when I make that noise. I think my actual stomach issues (heartburn and the "erp") come more from my hiatal hernia than from the lack of gb.

Good luck. Don't listen to the horror stories.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my Gb out 2.5 years ago. Im a FTM so for me the nausea, loose stools in the binning and now constipation all seem normal and most women have experienced this, regardless of GB status. 

I did however experience so bad pain in my back, same area my gb pain was in. My OB said it could have Ben scar tissue stretching. It happened a few times, lasting a week at the longest.  

I have GERD still so I take a Rx for indigestion, so I've been fairly lucky there.

All in all I would say I've not experienced anything really that different. I've read of others with phantom pain and bowel issues. Good luck!  

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • My gal bladder was removed 20 years ago. My symptoms have been within what I think is normal for pregnancy. My OBGYN told me that it is possible to have similar issues to the gallbladder attacks while pregnant because gal stones are made of cholesterol and pregnant women can have higher amounts of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had  mine removed when I was in college and had no issues with my pregnancies. Being pregnant actually made my issues from not having a gallbladder better. 
    Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had mine removed June 2010, and am now expecting our third child, the diarrhea is not as often which my OB said pregnancy will either make it worse or better. On the up side, I don't get any heart burn at all.
  • I had my gallbladder out when I was in college.  I have had a VERY easy pregnancy.  No morning sickness, no heartburn, no constipation, no loose stools etc.  I have no idea how much of that is genetics and how much is gallbladder removal related but certainly no horror stories here!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageoprastr:
    I had my gallbladder out when I was in college.  I have had a VERY easy pregnancy.  No morning sickness, no heartburn, no constipation, no loose stools etc.  I have no idea how much of that is genetics and how much is gallbladder removal related but certainly no horror stories here!

Yes This

• I don't have a gallbladder or bile duct anymore (long story) and I've done just fine with both pregnancies. You should know your body and how it reacts to certain foods, but nothing really changes with pregnancy.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • two months after my little man was born I had my galbladder removed. The Dr. told my hubby that the surgery would take 45min to an hour, my surgery ended up being 5hours long. week long stay at the hospital.
  • Had mine out after baby 2 pregnant 3 and 4 are about the same this time a little different but I think that's because this baby is a girl.

• oprastr said:
    I had my gallbladder out when I was in college.  I have had a VERY easy pregnancy.  No morning sickness, no heartburn, no constipation, no loose stools etc.  I have no idea how much of that is genetics and how much is gallbladder removal related but certainly no horror stories here!
    Same here, 10 years ago and the smoothest pregnancy among my friends who are currently preggers. I have days when baby movements are light that it feels just the same as being non pregnant.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"