Military Families

Grrrrrrr....welcome to reality

I married DH 2 years ago and he's been in a non-deployable unit since then.  We are about to rotate to a deployable unit where he was told to check in b/t May 12th and June 12th.  It's our last station before he retires w/ 20 years so we decided to build a house (est. closing date April 26th).  We find out today they want him to go train across the country for 6 weeks, meaning we won't be able to move now until mid-July AND we are out $2500 (2 months rent!) because we have to pay a mortgage and rent for those 2 months.  UGH!  Just doesn't seem fair when we planned around his orders. Welcome to reality, huh?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Grrrrrrr....welcome to reality

• I'm confused. Why can't you move while he's in training?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Also, you do not need your husband present to close on the house. You just need the proper power of attorney (that all banks accept). You can also set up the move before he leaves to happen the same day he signs. 

If you don't "feel like" closing and moving you can request the realtor and bank to extend the closing date so that you do not have to pay two diff. bills. That may cost you a lock extension fee that will be added to your closing costs. The sellers may not like it unless it's a builder or the house currently does not have a mortgage on it.

Let us know what you decide. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Technically I could move while he's training but when I wrote this we hadn't even entertained that. I was the one on this board that asked about the military moving you. I will have a 4-5 month old and thing it would be difficult to supervise her/BF her with possibly three men in the house packing. I guess there are lots of things we could definitely do but I feel incompetent to move without DH to be honest.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm sorry, I'm really hung-up on your "fair" comment. Sure, I'd rather not have to pay rent and a mortgage, but life happens and it is often not fair. It also seems to be your choice to delay the move.

Given your DH's report window, perhaps you could move out of your apartment sooner, rather than later. If you move out in mid-May, the military will store your household goods until you are ready to accept delivery. For the two months, from mid-May to mid-July, perhaps you could stay with family or friends. That way, you won't have to pay both rent and a mortgage, and, your DH can be there for the move, on both ends.

I know that moving without your DH is a lot, especially with a five month old, but, honestly, there are bigger problems that people are dealing with. I hope that you and your DH are able to find a solution that works for you both, and costs the least amount of money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagearcook0307:
    Technically I could move while he's training but when I wrote this we hadn't even entertained that. I was the one on this board that asked about the military moving you. I will have a 4-5 month old and thing it would be difficult to supervise her/BF her with possibly three men in the house packing. I guess there are lots of things we could definitely do but I feel incompetent to move without DH to be honest.

I guess I could see your point. I would recommend to start "seeing things differently" as he's going to need you not to feel "incompetent" when he's away. He's going to need you to be able to handle life alone many times. The moves aren't the worst. As long as you're organized, ask a friend or an acquaintance to help out if necessary or use a day care for the two days of packing I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'm still baffled on the whole closing/double bills comment. Have you worked it out since I have last written stating your options? I do recommend a baby sitter the day you close and to organize the packers to show up the day of or after the signing. I have spent years working with people and writing their mortgages to suit their schedules. You just HAVE to stay on top of it, make sure you're closing is on track to occur the date the bank/broker says (as in call weekly and take notes of who you speak to and what the conversation entailed). If not you may end up closing much later than originally quoted (a frequent occurrence in the banking/mortgage world regardless of what the loan officer says).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"