Adoption
Options

International adoption question

Anyone here adopting internationally?  DH and I are in the process of adopting from Ghana, and I was just looking for other ladies to talk to.  Thanks.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers >Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Re: International adoption question

• Options

we are :-) but from South Korea :-)  its been a crazy road so far! our son will be 16 months old on 3/9..... we got matched with him almost 7 months ago, and we have no clue when he'll be coming home :-(

Korea has always been one of the more stable IA programs, which is why we picked it. BUT the Korean ministry is starting to change some of the "rules" and process.... so a bunch of babies have been "stuck" while we wait for them to start processing visas again. :-( its been really tough just waiting, with no real end in sight. he will be our first child, and we're just so ready to start our lives as his parents. 

BUT on the plus side, he is in a foster home with a great foster family- so i know he is being sooo well cared for and loved. he also goes for a check up every month, so we've been getting a lot of info about him, and a bunch of pictures :-)

Anyway... thats our story! I know IA can be so different from DA, so feel freel to talk, vent, whatever! :-)

• Options
    We adopted our DS from Russia at age 26 months, about 2 1/2 years ago.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i am wondering if you had a hard time starting the process with such little ones? we are having a hard time finding programs that will let us adopt with such a little one and yours is younger than ours.
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    @MayDay... I've had very preliminary discussions with Nightlight Christian Adoptions and Carolina Adoption Services about their repective Uganda programs and neither were concerned about the ages of my babies.

(All of that said, we are no where near looking for #3... and as much as it hurts my heart, I don't think we'll ever do IA because of the out-of-country component with two small children at home... I can't stomach the thought of leaving my babies for three weeks)
    image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options

We're adopting through Nightlight's Uganda program. They would prefer that we not artificially twin our kiddos, but they didn't have a problem with DS being young.

And Silliest, I know this may not be possible for y'all, but my mom is coming w/us so we can bring DS. I haven't been away from him for more than 5 hours. 3 weeks would kill me! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
  • Options

We have two bio sons (age 4&1) and have started the process to adopt from Bulgaria. The age of our youngest has not been an issue because the wait time can be up to 3 years. 

Good luck!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Options
    There were some agencies that wouldn't accept us because of the girls' ages, but we found several that didn't have an issue with it.  I'm not sure if it's because Ghana is a non-Hague country or if it's just the agency policy.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers >Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options

Also, the travel for Ghana is two trip of about a week each.  I don't think I could handle a three-week separation either.  As it is, that's the most nerve-racking part for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"