1st Trimester
Options

6w3d First U/S - No heartbeat & no yolk sac

My husband and I are pregnant with our first baby. I am 6 weeks and 4 days today. My first ultrasound was yesterday and we were so excited that we would be able to hear our baby's heartbeat. We'd already planned to tell both of our families this weekend. So, I'm sure you can imagine our disappointment when the doctor could not find either a heartbeat nor yolk sac. We were heart broken. The doctor said it could be too early or it could also be a sign of miscarriage, but I immediately thought the worse. He ordered blood work to be done & asked that I come back again next Monday for additional blood work. He says he will be able to get a better idea of what's going on by comparing my hCG levels.

I came home and started doing research on the Internet and have found that people have so many different experiences. It appears that I may be experiencing what is called a "blighted ovum", which is early pregnancy failure. However, it also seems that many woman who have ultrasounds in early pregnancy and experience this same situation have gone on to find out that the baby actually implanted later than originally thought & ultimately end up with perfectly healthy babies. I now have hope that this may be my case as well.

I'm trying not to stress myself out, because I don't want to cause problems if it happens to be that my baby is fine. It is just so hard waiting and not knowing.

Has anyone else experienced this situation? If so, what was the outcome?

Re: 6w3d First U/S - No heartbeat & no yolk sac

• Options
    I have no advice but I wanted to wish you luck. I hope that you just implanated later than you thought and it's too early to see anything. FX for you.

• Options

I have been in this situation, unfortunately, mine ended in a miscarriage (I actually had a d/c).  I did make sure 100% - so I opted for the blood tests and another u/s a couple weeks later.  The wait seemed to take forever only to have it end in heartbreak.  BUT I am so glad that I was careful and covered all my bases to make sure and give the baby time to show up, if I would have rushed into anything, I would probably be thinking a lot of "what ifs" as time went on.

Please know that your situation is going to unfold the way that it will and there is nothing you can do about, AND (most importantly) nothing that you DID to warrent it if it turns out to be a miscarriage.

I pray that your little bean is just too small to see!  ((HUGS))

If this is a miscarriage, please know you are NOT alone and that perfectly healthy pregnancies are sure to follow - I know - I had my little Eloise and am pregnant now!

If you need to talk in the future, feel free to message me.

Keep us updated

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hello,

Last year I experienced the same exact situation. I went in for my ultrasound and there was no sign of a baby and I was 7w. I was told to come back in a week because my dates could have been off and that it might be to early. I came back and the sac grew but once again no baby. Unfortunately I MC. I pray that everything works out for you and they see a healthy baby when you go back.

I'm 5w and I'm on pins and needles praying that I will be holding a healthy baby in 9 months.

GL 

• Options
    I had an u/s at 5w3d and only saw a sac, but they said that was normal for how far I was. At 7w3d we had another one and saw not only the baby but heartbeat too. So, being  a week or two off can make a big difference. Hope it works out for you! 
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    How do you know you are 6w3d? Is that based on your LMP or were you temping and charting? Without temping you have no way of knowing when ou ovulated so it could just be that you ovulated later than usual. Good luck!
  • Options
    I don't have any advice, but wanted to wish you luck as well.  Hopefully, your dating is just off and you'll have a heartbeat at your next u/s. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress too much in the meantime.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I never post but I went through the exact same situation. I went in at 6 wk 4 days and nothing. Did bloodwork thurs and Monday, went for u/s again on Tuesday and baby and heartbeat were there. And I still measured right where I thought I should be, 7 wk 2 days. I was so anxious that whole weekend, too. Good luck!
  • Options

My situation is a bit different...but we went in at what I thought was 7w, and they did an U/S to rule out ectopic (I was having bad cramping). There was a gestational sac, but no baby, and the teeny tiny beginnings of a yolk sac.

The nurse said I was measuring 4w3d, and my HCG levels were on track with that measurement. I went in to get more HCG levels drawn to rule out miscarriage, and after 72 hours, though they didn't double, they still went up quite a bit, which was good. 

A week later, it seemed like everything caught up, and we saw our baby and heartbeat flickering on the screen at about 6ish weeks. 

You maybe ovulated late (I charted and I know I ovulate late in my cycle), anyways, good luck, and fingers crossed everyone is just trying to rush Mother Nature!

• Options

imageKen&Anna:
    How do you know you are 6w3d? Is that based on your LMP or were you temping and charting? Without temping you have no way of knowing when ou ovulated so it could just be that you ovulated later than usual. Good luck!

Yup, this.  Are they also taking your HCG beta levels, before your next scan?

My last pregnancy was a surprise, so we had no idea how far along I actually was when I went in (I had an IUD in, so it was even more complicated).  I thought I was about 6 weeks, but the ultrasound didn't show anything--only a maybe-maybe-not yolk sac that couldn't be measured.  But when I went back in the next week I had a nice little fetal pole and a strong heartbeat!  I was off by about a week--it can make a huge difference.  My betas confirmed everything was fine that day, too, as they were obviously doubling.

Try to stay positive--you won't know anything until you get some more info from bloodwork and another scan.  Fingers crossed for you! 

• Options

The same thing happened to me. I went in expecting to be 6 weeks 6 days and they did an ultrasound and there was barely a sac. The dr. thought he saw one but I didn't see anything! I was freaking out but the dr. didn't seem worried. He also sent me for bloodwork twice that week and we saw that my levels were doubling so I quit worrying! I haven't had any spotting or any signs of anything bad happening, the dr. thinks I might be off like a week. He thinks it was too early to detect anything in the ultrasound. I go back March 13th and hopefully we can find out how far along I am. Fingers crossed...

And honestly, I've been trying to stay off of the bump...I find myself reading up on stuff and worrying way too much. Relax and enjoy it. You probably aren't as far along as you thought! Smile

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Update: I started bleeding very heavily today, including large blood clots and cramping. I know this is the sign of miscarrying, so I only assume that is what's going on. My appointment is tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, I think I already know the outcome. Very sad day.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"