LGBT Parenting

Foster care...

Our foster care classes start in a little less than three weeks, we're really excited! We watched a 20/20 special on the over medication of foster children and were surprised to learn that children in foster care are 13 times more likely to be prescribed anti-psychotics than comparable children not in foster care. I was shocked! Some of the children were on over 10 different medications before they were 10.

For those of you who are foster parents, did you run into this? Are you allowed to change physicians for your foster children if you feel they are being over-medicated? What kind of input do you have in the child's medical treatment?

I can clearly ask these questions when we start classes, but thought I would see if any of you moms had thoughts about this. Thanks! 

IUI #1 (50 mg clomid and ovidrel) - BFN
IUI #2 (100 mg clomid and HCG trigger) - BFN
IUI #3 (Gonal-f and HCG trigger) - BFN
IVF #1 - 21 retrieved, 20 mature, 15 fertilized (ICSI), 2 d5 blasts transferred, 8 frozen - c/p
FET #1 - BFFN
FET #2 - BFN? c/p? Either way no baby
FET #3 - No shock...BFN
FET #4 - BFN :-(
Surgery and TTC cancelled - pursuing surrogacy
7/31/12 Surrogate got a +HPT!!!! BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Foster care...

• imagenmartin1108:

For those of you who are foster parents, did you run into this? yes. i mean, not personally, but I've come in contact with foster kids who I definitely suspect are over medicated.  I think its a product of overworked foster parents, overcrowded foster homes, and the severe issues foster kids have to deal with.   Of course these children will be more heavily medicated than the general population because they experience more trauma and mental illness, but I do think its abused/over done.

Are you allowed to change physicians for your foster children if you feel they are being over-medicated? Absolutely. We chose all medical providers for our kids.

What kind of input do you have in the child's medical treatment?  Full.  I have made all medical decisions from day 1.  I do have to get my choices approved and, as a courtesy, spoke to bio mom about it, but I've never had my choices challenged.

• best of luck with the classes! you are on your way!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagectbride08:

What kind of input do you have in the child's medical treatment?  Full.  I have made all medical decisions from day 1.  I do have to get my choices approved and, as a courtesy, spoke to bio mom about it, but I've never had my choices challenged.

I think this might be state to state dependent. In DC, Foster Parents can only sign for routine treatment. They can't sign consent for procedures/testing/etc. But they can choose the providers (assuming they accept the child's medicaid.)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image2brides:
    imagectbride08:

I think this might be state to state dependent. In DC, Foster Parents can only sign for routine treatment. They can't sign consent for procedures/testing/etc. But they can choose the providers (assuming they accept the child's medicaid.)

its same here. 

what i mean is, DCF respects all my wishes for the kids medical care.  Its a PIA b/c they still have to sign the papers (thats what i mean about getting it approved), but they do it because I've asked them to and recommended it for the child.  DCF certainly hasn't made any medical decisions for the children independent of me.

• We've not run into the over-medicating problem, our agency is pretty conservative with meds, prefering therapy and other forms of intervention first.

We are encouraged to seek a second opinion if we aren't comfortable with the doctors diagnosis or plan for treatment and can switch doctors if the need arises.

I feel like we have a lot of say in the kids medical treatment, we still have to get court approval for surgeries and other larger procedures but the everyday doctor visits are in our hands. I also feel like we have a lot of input into choosing the course of services the kids get and how we want those services (physical/speech/mental therapy) to pan out.

Our agency knows I medicate as a last resort only and they are fine with that.

• imagectbride08:

its same here. 

what i mean is, DCF respects all my wishes for the kids medical care.  Its a PIA b/c they still have to sign the papers (thats what i mean about getting it approved), but they do it because I've asked them to and recommended it for the child.  DCF certainly hasn't made any medical decisions for the children independent of me.

Gotcha. No, they wouldn't make medical decisions since you are competent foster parents. But I have seen them do it for crappy FPs. (don't get me started on why you would place a child with someone whose judgement you don't trust. But there it is.)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Thanks, all! It's good to hear that foster parents have some level of input. Hope you all have a great weekend :-)
    IUI #1 (50 mg clomid and ovidrel) - BFN
    IUI #2 (100 mg clomid and HCG trigger) - BFN
    IUI #3 (Gonal-f and HCG trigger) - BFN
    IVF #1 - 21 retrieved, 20 mature, 15 fertilized (ICSI), 2 d5 blasts transferred, 8 frozen - c/p
    FET #1 - BFFN
    FET #2 - BFN? c/p? Either way no baby
    FET #3 - No shock...BFN
    FET #4 - BFN :-(
    Surgery and TTC cancelled - pursuing surrogacy
    7/31/12 Surrogate got a +HPT!!!! BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"