Multiples

Need ur opinion- anatomy scan

The anatomy scan is kinda stressing me out since so many of you ladies had abnormalities (even minor) on yours. 

The question is-  should I ask DH to take off work (again) and go?  He is a teacher so its hard for him to take off.  My doctor's office only does these during the day.  They said to expect to be there 2- 3 hours.

Did you go alone or if you had DH there, was it very helpful?  Thoughts?

image image
                  Ayden & Sydney

Re: Need ur opinion- anatomy scan

• Dh was so glad to go and be with me when we got the official "it's boys". He was sad that he wasn't there when I got the "it is still early to be 100% but it looks like boys".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DH went to all of my US's.  The anatomy scan is fun but also BORING b/c it's so long and a lot of it is boring scans of organs, etc - not fun face shots, etc.  Can you plan it after 3pm so your DH can go easier?  I'd want my DH there... not b/c i was worried but b/c it's nice to share those moments together.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I would ask him to go.  My dh came to the NT scan and the anatomy scan.  He skipped all the growth scans.  However, the A/S is really long and you might have to go back for another session if you LOs don't cooperate (which I wouldn't ask him to go).

It's a big moment when you get the official gender reveal...

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My husband came with me to almost all of my ultrasounds (including the anatomy scan).  He had to miss my 37 week growth one because it was rescheduled at the last minute and that's the one that was stressful.  (They MFM predicted a 20% growth disparity between the babies and scheduled my induction for the next week.)  Even though it was a fairly minor thing, and in the end they were almost the same size and everyone was fine, I really wished he had been there!
  • I've had H with me for all the ultrasounds except 1 growth one, and we like seeing the boys together.  It's a bit of a bonding experience.

But especially the anatomy scan!  They spend so much time looking at each one -- it's the longest ultrasound.  I think ours took about an hour all told.  I personally would definitely try to have him be there physically, or if not, try to use technology so he can "be there" -- video chat or something and make it an "office hour" haha.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm lurking but wanted to share my experience. My DH was out of town when we had our anatomy scan. My girl had a small abnormality on her heart, and although everything turned out to be fine a week later, it was difficult to be in the office by myself. I know that moms of multiples get many more ultrasounds than us singletons, but I do wish he had been able to be there to enjoy the u/s as well. Hope that helps. :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • As someone who got bad news at the big scan, I was actually really glad to have my husband and my parents there with me. Even if it had all gone according to plan, having them there for the big sex reveal would have been great.

Untitled

Etta Jane and Claire Elaine are here! Born March 28, 2012.

my blog

What it's like to cloth diaper twins, Part I.

Cloth diapering twins, Part II.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies-  I think i do really want him to be there.  Although we do know the genders already. 

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

• Dh was with me.  He wouldn't have missed it for the world (also a teacher).  I would have needed him if we had gotten any concerning news as well. 
  • My husband is self employed so we're incredibly lucky that he has gone to every single appointment (except this weeks cervix check since he has a bad cold and I didn't want him to contaminate the moms in the waiting room).  If he worked outside the home he for sure would have taken off for the anatomy scan and as many of the other ultrasounds as possible.  They help him feel much more involved in this pregnancy and form a deeper bond with our babies.  It makes me smile so big and tear up a little when the doctor will comment on how active Lefty is and my husband says with pride, "he's been that way ever since about 8 weeks!".  It also helps to have him there when the doctor tells me I need to be taking it easy, it helps my husband understand I'm not lazy for not doing as much housework etc.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • My DH went with me to my first U/S in my last pregnancy because we thought there were complications from fibroids - turns out I was having the twins. I'm glad he was with me at that one because I was a mess of shock and anxiety after that news. He couldn't make it to any of the others. And I had one every 3 weeks. This time he hasn't gone to any and doesn't plan on it. I have been nervous before every u/s, just like all moms. I always call him right before I go and right after I get out so I still have his support. Depends on the circumstances surrounding your DH's job. Sometimes it really is too hard to get time away.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DH went to all my appts with me.  He def wouldn't have missed an u/s.  My a/s was fun, but we already knew the genders, so it was cool just to watch them on u/s for hours.  The tech took measurements and explained what we were looking at.  It was awesome!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My DH stayed home with my DD. It is pretty long & boring, especially if you are team green. It's a personal choice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image   and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My DH went with. They actually were going to tell me the gender at the appt. before which I wasn't expecting and I declined, I really wanted DH to be there and he wanted to be there as well. 

If he can't take off, you can always have the doc write it down and put it in an envelope and you can open it with DH at home. Try not to worry about abnormalities!! GL! 

~*~Nestie Besties with Hollylb3~*~
    After 2+ years, open-heart surgery, and 3 IUIs,
    our two miracles are here!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    My Blog!
  • DH is a teacher here too! I would say if this is the ONE appt he can go to: do it! It's the first opportunity my husband really got to connect with the babes. You get to really seem every little bit of them and then discover the gender of course. My husband says he had a hard time connecting to the kids (in the same way I did) until he saw them looking like real babies and then found out the gender. He said he needed to be able to picture their future as little boys or girls to connect with them now. Weird, but it made sense to me when he described it.
  • What sort of bad news might one get at an anatomy scan? I'm sorry if I'm being naive, but I'm just wondering what sort of complications they can discover?

Thanks in advance. 

• imageUsedToBeGoldie:

My DH went to all of my US's.  The anatomy scan is fun but also BORING b/c it's so long and a lot of it is boring scans of organs, etc - not fun face shots, etc.  Can you plan it after 3pm so your DH can go easier?  I'd want my DH there... not b/c i was worried but b/c it's nice to share those moments together.

Ditto this. For us it was also when we found out both babies' sexes for sure (at 16w she was pretty sure on Baby A but not on Baby B) so it was great to have him here for that. They also said there were some spots on one baby's heart and they wanted us to get a fetal echocardiogram to be on the safe side. It turned out to be NBD but again, nice to have him there for that. 

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I didn't have any abnormalities on my anatomy scan.  It was fun and enjoyable.  DH came to all my ultrasounds.  It wasn't necessary,but he was super excited to see the babies.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I took off work to go to ours. I only went to one or two other of DWs appointments though.
  • DH came to mine - not because I was worried about bad news, but because it's pretty involved, and can be kind of educational and fun.  I'm kind of a nerd though...I liked seeing everything they measured.  It was also nice to have him there to talk to because it is long.

He didn't come to my other growth scans after that - until I hit 34 weeks and had my last one.  He wanted to see one last u/s before the big day!

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"