1st Trimester

New vehicle for growing family?

I'm going to trade my car in for a small to mid-size SUV, but I don't know which SUV to get.  We plan to have 2 kids (we have a 2YO already), and we have 2 dogs (1 large, 1 small).  Anyone have suggestions for what type of SUV can (or cannot) cart around my family comfortably?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: New vehicle for growing family?

• A lot of the crossovers tend to be pretty roomy. I've got an older model Chevy Equinox and I love it. It has lots of room. Plus the crossovers tend to get better gas mileage than the bigger SUV's.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I adored my Honda CR-V, if you're intent on the small SUV.  It held an amazing amount of stuff, was fun to drive and easy to park, got good gas mileage, and easily maintained.  All together just a great car.

BUT, I just got a new Ford Focus 2012 and I'm totally in love.  It has nearly the same amount of storage as my CR-V did (which I tested when I drove home for Christmas--with laundry AND presents!), and it drives like a dream.  Plus, its gas mileage and safety features are some of the best on the market in its class, and I'm not going to have any trouble fitting in 2 car seats.  Ford redesigned it totally this year, and it now rides and feels like a luxury car in a small hatchback.  Love it!

Good luck with your decision--new cars are fun! 

• Loading the player...
  • imageUrbanLe1:

I adored my Honda CR-V, if you're intent on the small SUV.  It held an amazing amount of stuff, was fun to drive and easy to park, got good gas mileage, and easily maintained.  All together just a great car.

BUT, I just got a new Ford Focus 2012 and I'm totally in love.  It has nearly the same amount of storage as my CR-V did (which I tested when I drove home for Christmas--with laundry AND presents!), and it drives like a dream.  Plus, its gas mileage and safety features are some of the best on the market in its class, and I'm not going to have any trouble fitting in 2 car seats.  Ford redesigned it totally this year, and it now rides and feels like a luxury car in a small hatchback.  Love it!

Good luck with your decision--new cars are fun! 

The Focus sounds nice, but I have to be able to fit the dogs in it too.  I'll take a peek at a CR-V though, thanks!

• We looked at the Toyota Highlander and love it for the 3rd row fold down seat and the huge trunk!  It's the only SUV we have found that we love for having a family.
    Trying To Conceive since November 2009
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    IUI#1-4 all BFN
    IVF#1 January (4R, 4M, 1F) BFP
    Colt was born on 10/27 at 11:50pm. 6lbs and 19 1/4"
    Surpise! Baby #2 is on it's way.  EDD 9.18.14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're getting the Mazda CX-9. I'm in love with it. We also have 2 big dogs, and plan on 2 kids and we are up-sizing from Mazda 6. You can also look at the Mazda CX-7 but for us it doesn't quite work with 2 kids and 2 dogs plus luggage. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMilMomma:
    A lot of the crossovers tend to be pretty roomy. I've got an older model Chevy Equinox and I love it. It has lots of room. Plus the crossovers tend to get better gas mileage than the bigger SUV's.

This is in the size range I'm hoping for, just worried the dogs won't fit.

• We looked at the Highlander and the Pilot.  Initially I was impressed by the Highlander until we test drove the Pilot.  It switches cylinders and is "eco" friendly when it comes to gas for a V6........or at least that's what we were told.  We ended up buying a 2012 Pilot with everything we wanted.....navigation, heated seats, dual ac where you can control it by what side you are on and ac controls in the back.  The third row in the Pilot is much more roomy than the two third row seats in the Highlander.  This is our first baby but there may be one more in the future and we have a dog.  The Pilot was a much better bang for the buck.......we were looking at 4 cylinder Highlanders but ended up gettinga  V6 eco friendly Pilot with all the options (even a DVD player in the back) for less money.  Honda gave me a good deal on my trade in since it was a Honda too :) Happy car shopping!
  • imageSLHurst11:

imageMilMomma:
    A lot of the crossovers tend to be pretty roomy. I've got an older model Chevy Equinox and I love it. It has lots of room. Plus the crossovers tend to get better gas mileage than the bigger SUV's.

This is in the size range I'm hoping for, just worried the dogs won't fit.

If it's the size range you're looking for, I'd suggest going to one of the dealerships and looking at a few different makes/models that way you can get an actual feel for whether or not it will/won't fit your family.

• We got a Rav4 last year.  I like it.  It fits our needs.  It's nice because it has a 3rd row of seating that folds down when you're not using it.  We have a large dog and plan to have 2-3 kids.  We also travel a lot.

If I could do it all again, I would go with a Subaru Forester.  I had an Impreza when DS was born and I loved it, but it wasn't practical for our family.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • imagejworkman1980:
    We looked at the Highlander and the Pilot.  Initially I was impressed by the Highlander until we test drove the Pilot.  It switches cylinders and is "eco" friendly when it comes to gas for a V6........or at least that's what we were told.  We ended up buying a 2012 Pilot with everything we wanted.....navigation, heated seats, dual ac where you can control it by what side you are on and ac controls in the back.  The third row in the Pilot is much more roomy than the two third row seats in the Highlander.  This is our first baby but there may be one more in the future and we have a dog.  The Pilot was a much better bang for the buck.......we were looking at 4 cylinder Highlanders but ended up gettinga  V6 eco friendly Pilot with all the options (even a DVD player in the back) for less money.  Honda gave me a good deal on my trade in since it was a Honda too :) Happy car shopping!

My parents considered the Highlander and Pilot and ended up with a Pilot.  They have NOT been impressed by the gas mileage on the Pilot, though.  I think the Highlander got better.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • We decided to get a minivan because it's more convenient. We have a dodge grand caravan. I love it! We both play hockey so its great for that.

• We have a Pacifica ...3 row seats very nice and roomy but not too nice on the gas mileage ! However, it perfect for 3 girls our pup and one in the oven!!!!
  • We just got a 2006 Equinox for my H (he was driving a 1997 Infiniti with 200k miles on it that had an oil leak and an exhaust leak so it was time lol). He loves his "mom car" a lot. With the seats up, there's not a lot of cargo space, but the seats fold down pretty flat when we need to haul things. We haven't fit 2 seats in the back yet but it'll be no problem. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    TTC Baby #2 - BFP on 12/14/11 @ 10DPO - CP confirmed 12/18/11
    BFP #2 on 1/13/12
  • I had a Dodge caravan for years (through HS and college) and loved it! Lots of space, easy to get into and load anything in there that we wanted. It also got great gas mileage (compared to the suv's now). My sister has 2 kids (will have 3) and a big dog and has the Ford Expedition. It fits everything for her, but sucks gas! Hope this helps!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 2/10/2012!
    Due Date: 10/15/2012!
    Baby Boy Born 10/11/12! (Not on purpose) :)
  • I drive a CX7 but I'm a little nervous about how tight it will be with 2 rear facing carseats. The crossover is wide and has good "trunk" space but not alot of room between the two rows for rf carseats.  DH said my next car can be whatever I want so I have my eye on the new Infiniti JX or the Volvo XC90. Both are 3 row crossovers. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I have a Sante Fe and Love it! I highly recommend it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm driving a Hyundai Santa Fe. I love it! Lots of space for our dogs (one big, one small) in the back without having to lay the back seats down. Gas mileage is pretty good too. And Hyundai has a great warranty and safety ratings to boot :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersPregnancy Ticker
  • I went from a ford focus to a ford expedition when we were expecting #2, we normally keep the 3rd row down for storage but will be putting one seat up to put my oldest in the back row now since #3 is on the way....and we will still have a ton of room back there....prob a bigger vehicle than you are thinking of getting but just a suggestion...I love my expedition!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ~Stacy

MC #1 @12 Weeks 12/03

MC #2 @5 Weeks 6/04

Drake 5-26-05

Jackson 3-16-08

Expecting Our Final Addition! EDD 9/14/12
  • We bought the Volvo XC90 a few years ago and LOVE it!

We looked at the Highlander and Pilot also.  My friend got the pilot and they love it for their 3 kids (no pets), and my MIL bought the Highlander and loves it for her large dog (no small kids). So I know both of those are good options (and the Highlander has a eco-friendly hybrid option).

We chose the XC90 for a few reasons,

#1 it was the highest rated safety vehicle in the mid size SUV category, it has something like 12 air bags (at the time, ours is a 2005- not sure where it dalls currently).

#2 It has 7 seats, all move independently of each other.  We didn't realize this was important until we put our friend's kids in the car and we can scoot the middle seat closer to the front so we have access to the baby and the other kids can sit back a bit and not be crowded by the car sear. We can also put up 1 of the back row seats and one down (so if we needed to have 6 people and a dog everyone could be comfortable).  Its really nice that it is not a bench- that is is two actual seats.

#3 When the back row is up, there is still a small trunk that I can use for luggage, groceries etc.  When the back row is down, we can fit our Golden retreiver and lots of luggage, bags etc and everything fits great.

#4 It takes regular gas- most of the other SUV's took mid grade or premium

#5  It works great in all weather- we take it in the snow and Ice in PNW weather and drive it to Whistler and Sun Valley and it handles terrifically.

I don't have any downsides to give you, we are actually thinking that in a few years we will upgrade to a newer XC90, since we love it so much.  **We bought a certified used one from a local dealership, and so VOLVO covered any and all repairs in the first few years of ownership- I would highly recommend that.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mazda cx 7 holds 2 rear facing car seats very comfortably and 2 70 pound dogs in the "trunk". But you have to pick between the dogs and the stroller. The cx 9 has zero trunk room with the 3rd row up but if you put it down there is a little more room and cab fit a small stroller and dogs.

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• imagebeccabride2be:
    We're getting the Mazda CX-9. I'm in love with it. We also have 2 big dogs, and plan on 2 kids and we are up-sizing from Mazda 6. You can also look at the Mazda CX-7 but for us it doesn't quite work with 2 kids and 2 dogs plus luggage. 

LOVE LOVE LOVE my CX-9!  I've had it for two years now and it's such an awesome car.  

• We have a Ford Escape Hybrid.  I love it for the technology and gas mileage.  It's worked great for us for one kid and two dogs.  However we don't travel with our dogs.  It would be tough because there is no way the dogs and BOB would fit.  Luggage could go in the back seat with the car seat but overall it is tight.  Now that we are adding a second kid, I'm nervous.  The car is only 2 years old so I don't want to trade it in, but two in car seats feels tight.  It will absolutely fit (I've done two carseats in it plenty of times with my niece) but the in and out seems like a pain.  I can't imagine what car wouldn't have this issue though unless you put them both on the sides instead of the middle and then one is always getting out into the street.  I hate to say it but if you are thinking long term you may want to consider a minivan.  I increasingly feel like that is going to be our only option for two kids, two dogs, and all the stuff that requires.
  • My husband and I are going to trade in my new Camry for the Highlander after the baby comes. I LOVE the Highlander. I did not believe him when he told me it had 3rd row seats because it looks so compact compared to those giant SUVs. I love it!
  • I have a nissan rogue. Perfect size for two kids and most reasonably priced. It was between thatr and the Rav 4 which is also a great price.
  • imagejworkman1980:
    We looked at the Highlander and the Pilot.  Initially I was impressed by the Highlander until we test drove the Pilot.  It switches cylinders and is "eco" friendly when it comes to gas for a V6........or at least that's what we were told.  We ended up buying a 2012 Pilot with everything we wanted.....navigation, heated seats, dual ac where you can control it by what side you are on and ac controls in the back.  The third row in the Pilot is much more roomy than the two third row seats in the Highlander.  This is our first baby but there may be one more in the future and we have a dog.  The Pilot was a much better bang for the buck.......we were looking at 4 cylinder Highlanders but ended up gettinga  V6 eco friendly Pilot with all the options (even a DVD player in the back) for less money.  Honda gave me a good deal on my trade in since it was a Honda too :) Happy car shopping!

We just recently traded my car ('03 Hyundai Tiburon) in for a Pilot.  WE LOVE IT. Right now we have an 8yr old son, a french bulldog/boston terrier mix, and we are expecting our second child in November, (We also intend on getting a German Sheperd) so the flexibility of the Pilot is just perfect for us.  We opted for an older model but still had heated leather seats and DVD. We honestly were looking at the Honda Elements to start because they were 4 cyl. My mother in law has one and I think it is just the cutest thing ever!  But when we went to the dealership they had us try out the Pilot and that was that! As far as gas mileage it is a V-6, but I haven't seen much difference between it and my car. Actually it seems to get a little bit better mileage if you ask me.  Anything has more room than that little car of mine!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"