Pregnant after 35
Options

Choroid Plexus Cysts

I found out several weeks ago that our baby girl has 2 cysts on her brain.  The doctor said not to lose any sleep over it.  However, how can I not worry?  I am 36 years old with my very first pregnancy, and Choroid Plexus Cysts have been linked to a chromosomal disorder called Trisomy 18.  I know I shouldn't worry.  The good news is that everything else is normal.  Her weight, her organs and body all look perfect.

Has anyone had these cysts show up on your ultrasound?  It only happens in 1% to 3% of pregnancies.   

Re: Choroid Plexus Cysts

• Options
    I don't have personal experience, but my niece had a cyst on her brain that they found on an US, and she's a perfectly healthy 2 1/2 year old now!  I know it's very difficult to not worry--I had my own issues during my 1st pregnancy--but my best advice is to think positive and stay away from Google at all costs!  GL to you, I'm sure everything is fine!  Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thank you!  I will keep everyone posted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My 2.5 DS had 2 and is perfectly normal.  Doc said he had only one marker which was the cyst and wouldn't have it since there needs to be more than one marker.  We did go back in for another u/s i think a month or two later to make sure it was gone.  They were.  Several other friends have had them show up the u/s and their kids are fine too.  try not to worry.
    image Sandy RIP 1-11-09 imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter had one, along with an echogenic focus on her heart.  She is a perfect little 2 year old, smarter than all of us.   I was mostly worried about her heart spot, so I did have an amnio.  But everything I heard from docs is that trisomy 18 has many obvious markers that can be seen on ultrasound.   Sorry you have to worry about this.  Can you meet with genetics for some reassurance?   Once I did, they made me feel much better but I did the amnio just to close the book on worry.  
  • Options

I had that during my 20 week scan with DD - they found a CPC, but no other markers. I was freaked, but I read some studies online and if there are no other markers (the tech had looked carefully at the heart, and both hands, making sure to count 5 fingers, and the feet looked normal) then a sole CPC marker never resulted in Tri 18 (only if it was combined with other markers). Also, my sister who is a pedi said that sole CPCs are in 1-3% of the population, often they can stay in the brain through adulthood, and there is no adverse affect from them. My DD is perfect!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They found a CPC in my baby's head during my week 18 ultrasound, but then my amnio results came back "fabulous," said the genetics counselor. I'm getting another ultrasound on March 12 (week 28) and we'll see if the CPC is gone. But honestly, all three doctors I talked to (as well as the genetics counselor) said not to worry, that perfectly normal and healthy babies have CPCs from time to time. Since my amnio reuslts were good, I am not worried at all. Try not to stress out too much over this. I just turned 37 and this is my first baby, by the way.  
  • Options
    Thank you everyone.  I will keep you posted on how the ultrasound goes on March 19.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"