Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Recommend your mid-size SUV

We are looking at buying a new car and I thought it would be good to get suggestions from people in the same boat as us... with a kid (or two or more).

Interested in safety and cargo space and room for the convertible carseat that is in our immediate future... so far we are liking the GMC Terrain and the Kia Sorrento

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - Random Ramblings

Re: Recommend your mid-size SUV

• We got a 2008 hyundai santa fe last July and I love it. 
    image image

• We have a 2006 Chevy Equinox and love it
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • 2011 Subaru Outback! Love! Plenty of space for baby, gear, and dog.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a 2010 Mazda CX-7 and really like it! We don't need AWD, it's pretty sporty looking, and we have had plenty of room for her seat. We've taken a number of long trip (8+ hours) and have all been comfortable.
  • imagecas889:
    We got a 2008 hyundai santa fe last July and I love it. 

same car here.  no complaints! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Honda Pilot.

We also looked at the Toyota 4Runner but the Pilot won out in space and comfort. The Toyota highlander is nice, too. We got the Pilot that has the DVD system for kids in the future (we camp and road trip a lot). It also seats eight, so it will have plenty of room for H and I, a couple kids, and our big pup. It's also top of the line in safety and reliability and I love how it drives. 

I have previously owned a Ford Escape and it was jut ok. Mine had a lot of mechanical problems so I got rid of it.  

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • We are big in the GMC's. We tested out the Terrain and what a great price for the car. We decided if we were buying new we needed the extra 3rd row and went with the GMC acadia. My H says every time how glad he is we didn't get a terrain because the more he see's it the less he likes it, but personally I loved it! I'm glad we have the 3rd row but liked the terrain. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We *LOVE* our 2011 Chevrolet Equinox.  It's got enough room for all our baby equipment when we travel.  It's safe and a smooth ride!
    Sophia Elizabeth born at 28 weeks, 6 days. Weighing 3lbs, 3oz and 15 1/8" long. SS Photography blue petti
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • suv75suv75 member
    Love my acura MDX. Soooo comfy and roomy and the monstrous Britax Advocate fits well in the back middle seat.
  • imageRachie_B:
    We *LOVE* our 2011 Chevrolet Equinox.  It's got enough room for all our baby equipment when we travel.  It's safe and a smooth ride!

This is us! I was in love with the Ford Escape for the LONGEST time, but figured it would be a little cramped after we had #2. As far as the Kia Sorrento - my friend bought it and literally wanted to take it back the next week...

• I am on my 2nd Ford Escape & love it.  However, we only have 1 LO right now.  I think having 2 older kids, it might get a little small but for now I really do love it & it is great for us!

• Those who love their Equinox have obviously never driven a Ford Edge ;)

I own an Edge, and have riden in several Equinoxes, and I find the Equinox a cheap piece of junk. Anyway, neither are a SUV per se. I am looking at a Ford Explorer for my next. More room and towing capacity. We camp and golf and need more cargo space. But the Edge has lots of room for two car seats and a big stroller in the back, if that's what you're wondering. It's a smooth stylish ride and a lot of high-end options come standard. It may sound silly, but I especially love the one-touch down/one-touch up driver's side window. Most cars only come with one-touch down. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• imagejaykruz:
    2011 Subaru Outback! Love! Plenty of space for baby, gear, and dog.

Same. We have a 2012 Outback with 2 rear-facing convertible seats and still have enough room for our double stroller in the back plus baby gear. If we took a road trip that involved the dogs, we'd probably have to use the roof rack if we wanted to take the stroller. 

imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Another Lexus RX owner here. Love love love it! Prior to our current one, I had a 1999 RX that I drove for the longest time. It never had any sort of mechanical problems. They are very reliable and safe cars. I love that I can open the back with the key-less entry fob, it comes in handy while shopping and holding LO. There is a ton of room in the back seat and trunk.

The Toyota Highlander is really similar and you can also get one with a 3rd row. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic     
  • We have an 09 Toyota Highlander. It has more than enough space for us. We just have 1 LO now, but another car seat would easily fit. It also has a 3rd row of seats that fold up or down depending on if you need the cargo space. This is the car DH drives and I am jealous. I still have my tiny Corolla (which is a great car, just not very roomy with a RF convertible in there).

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Its not really considered a midsized, however, I am a firm believer is the Ford Explorer.  I had an explorer last lasted 15 years and 106K miles before I passed the thing onto my brother and it is STILL running great for him 15K miles later.  It needed some work done around 100K, new clutch, aircondition worked on, MAF replaced, but for quality, you cannot beat that suv.  I was planning on getting another one, but for budget constraints, we ended up purchasing a minivan (got a GREAT deal on it - used with 19K).. but I still miss my explorer.
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I realize it's not a mid-size, but I just bought a Volkswagen Routan SE. EYE-YI-YI I love it so much I could marry it. (I had a Jetta).
  • WE have a Ford Edge and LOVE IT!  Great room, the backseat is plenty big.  Its perfect for the 3 of us and we are hoping to expand to 4 of us this year and it will still be plenty big!
  • I recently leased a Honda CR-V (which is not really mid-sized), but love it! It looks small but seems to have a lot of room for us. I only have a 2 year lease and will probably upgrade to a Honda Pilot when we have a second LO though.

I had a 2009 Subaru Outback, and the CR-V has a lot more leg room and room for the convertible carseat. I now the body style changed with the 2011 Subaru though so I can't comment on that.

• I have an Acura MDX that I absolutely love.  DH got a new car in January because he wanted an SUV too.  He didn't want to spend the money like my MDX so he got a new Kia Sorrento with all the bells and whistles.  He loves it.  I have to say, it is very similar to my MDX.  It's a bit smaller and not quite as "luxury", but I love his car and it was a heck of a lot cheaper. 
  • imagekballou:

I recently leased a Honda CR-V (which is not really mid-sized), but love it! It looks small but seems to have a lot of room for us. I only have a 2 year lease and will probably upgrade to a Honda Pilot when we have a second LO though.

I had a 2009 Subaru Outback, and the CR-V has a lot more leg room and room for the convertible carseat. I now the body style changed with the 2011 Subaru though so I can't comment on that.

The new body style has a HUGE difference in the back seat. I think it actually started in 2010. 

imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • love my toyota highlander.  spacious and the 3rd row seat pops up when you need it. we use it all the time when family and friends visit.

drives like a car, nice and smooth. I test drove a volvo and it felt more like a truck.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe and I love it.  Very safe, great warranty, plenty of space for our convertible car seat and baby gear.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"