July 2011 Moms

Weird conversation at check-out counter and good news

Ok, first the good news. For anyone who read or offered advice about my awful MIL coming to "help" while DH is in South Africa on business next week, I just found out he does not have to go away. Woohoo!

Now for the weird conversation:

I was at the grocery store buying 4 items, so this should have taken all of 5 minutes or less. So the cashier sees me in line talking to Saoirse in the stroller while the woman in front of me is paying and she smiles at me. I smile back, pretending to be friendly. When it is my turn I push the stroller up and she gets a good look at Saoirse and says to me "Is this yours?" So her first offense is refering to my child as "this." I say yes and her mouth drops open and she looks back and forth a few times from Saoirse to me and back again. I realize after a minute that she is looking at my huge pregnant belly and wondering how I could have a baby so little. So I say "yes, they will be less than a year apart." Then she asks me "Was that planned?" I was now dumb-founded that a complete stranger just asked me if I planned my pregnancy! So I said "yes, we wanted them close together." She asked if Saoirse was a girl, which I will let slide since I have a red stroller and she was wearing a blue shirt, but really I don't think she looks at all like a boy. I said she was a girl and the annoying woman then tells me "Well I guess you're hoping for a boy now." Why would she assume that? I finally decided that this moron no longer deserves serious answers, so I say "You know, I really wanted a puppy but we saw the sonogram already and I guess we're getting another human baby" and shook my head disapprovingly. She completed my sale silently after that, to no one's surprise, but left me with this gem as I walked away: "Well, good luck with that. You're going to need it." I was so amused and annoyed at the same time. I hope she doesn't have chidlren.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Weird conversation at check-out counter and good news

•  "Well, good luck with that. You're going to need it." I was so amused and annoyed at the same time.

Wow! How annoying of a person- so many questions! I'm glad you said the puppy thing!! lol How judgy of her, ugghh. looking back and forth. I would be super annoyed too!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Okay, I am going to be a complete d!ckweed and point out that there's a reason that the only job that some people can get is at the check-out counter of the grocery store.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's horrible. I have idea what I would have said. Some people are so stupid!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • UGH! Good for you for not letting it ruin your day and walking away both annoyed but also amused. One of my favorite parts of this whole story is "I smile back, pretending to be friendly." You made me chuckle.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh my gosh! How rude!
  • Ugh, that is horrible.  I'm glad you said something snarky to her.  You should email or call the manager to alert them that their cashiers are vocally judging their customers...and that can't be good for business.
    www.minegoes2-11.blogspot.com

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMilMom2B:
    UGH! Good for you for not letting it ruin your day and walking away both annoyed but also amused. One of my favorite parts of this whole story is "I smile back, pretending to be friendly." You made me chuckle.

Yeah, I'm not an overly friendly person, which is probably why my daughter gives strangers dirty looks. Super Angry

I try to be nicer in front of Saoirse to be a good example, but some people make it so hard! I know some people just don't know any better than to say stupid things, so I try not to let dumba$$es ruin my day. It just gives me a funny story to tell.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I love your responses to everything! I can't wait until I'm pg again so I can tell people the velociraptor line.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • And now I remember the WORST side effect of pregnancy... Idiots talking to you and "advising" you as though they are experts on all things baby related. I really don't think it"s AS bad once babes are on the outside. And PS  2 under 2 can be a really beautiful thing. mine aren't as close as yours, but i do truly enjoy it! Sidebar: I was just thinking today that I really hate it that people try for a specific gender. 
  • First, yay for DH not going away! That IS great news! 

And wow, the nerve of some people. I am impressed with your ability to keep your cool. I would have either cried or yelled at her, depending on the day, so you were pretty amazing to be able to respond so well!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"