Infertility
Options

power outage and freaking out about meds.

A couple of nights ago, we had a power outage.  I think it started at around 10PM and the power came back on around 5AM (or maybe 6).  I woke up around 1AM, realized the power was out, and woke DH.

We were totally focused on the baby chicks we'd just moved to the coop, and the fact that they didn't have a heat lamp to keep them warm.  In the chaos of the power outage we completely forgot about the IVF meds!

Do you think they're ok?  The refrigerator was kept closed the entire time.  The meds are in the fridge, inside a drawer, inside a paper bag.

I'm going to call the RE's office to ask but they usually take a couple of hours to call back.  In the meantime... What do you all think?

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

Re: power outage and freaking out about meds.

• Options
    I think as long as the fridge was closed the whole time they'll be OK, Hon.
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with the PP - I think they're ok. If they stayed in the fridge and the door was closed and the power was only out a few hours, they should be fine. I don't think the temp in fridge would have dropped by a whole lot, especially not during the night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd have to agree with the others.  So 7-8 hours. I'd think as long as you didn't keep opening & closing the fridge door w/in that period of time you'd be fine. I thought most food in the fridge won't spoil in that period of time so I couldn't imagine medicine would either. It should have still been cool within that period of time I'd imagine. I am hoping your dr. says it is okay!!! Hope your chickies are okay too Lynda!!!
  • Options
    They will be fine. There is a tolerance window of x degrees for all meds and the fridge takes many hours to loose the refrigeration. I would not worry in the least.

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

• Options
    I know Gonal-F, lupron and hCG are all ok at room temperature for 30 days. If you read the package insert, it will tell you how to store the meds. Most people will advise you to keep them in the fridge, because that will ensure they are ok until their expiration date, but if you are going to use them for this cycle, you will be fine. I keep all my meds at room temperature once I open them, because it hurts less to inject a room temperature med. Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagetst1998:
    I know Gonal-F, lupron and hCG are all ok at room temperature for 30 days. If you read the package insert, it will tell you how to store the meds. Most people will advise you to keep them in the fridge, because that will ensure they are ok until their expiration date, but if you are going to use them for this cycle, you will be fine. I keep all my meds at room temperature once I open them, because it hurts less to inject a room temperature med. Smile

Ditto to this too!

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

• Options
    kmc84kmc84 member
    I wouldn't worry at all! Our power was out for days and the fridge was still cold 36 hours later.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    Thanks for the reassurance, everyone!  I feel a lot better.  I love how IF (and IVF in particular) makes you stress about every little thing...

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• Options
    they're totally fine, Lynda.  i was told by my neighbor who worked with appliances that you can go at least 24 hours if you keep the fridge closed.  no worries.
  • Options
    I think they will be fine. I have heard of this before and they were fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"