Stay at Home Moms

cleaning jewelry

What do you uset to clean your jewelry? especially engagement rings ?

Re: cleaning jewelry

• imagescatteredtrees:
    I go to our jeweler. I'm too nervous I'd do something stupid and loosen the stones.

This. I can get mine cleaned once a year for free since they did the resizing and fixing on my ring (family ring).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Well guy.s, hate to say it, but that is no help. ;) Anyone clean them at home? Mr. Clean? Toothpaste? Other?
  • Loading the player...
  • I use a tiny bit of dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water with a soft toothbrush.  Once a year I take it to a jeweler to have it cleaned.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I take them to Tiffany's to get them cleaned (my e-ring and wedding band are from there).

In between, I use windex and a toothbrush (per our cleaner at Tiffany's). 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • imageHarrietNJMommy:

I take them to Tiffany's to get them cleaned (my e-ring and wedding band are from there).

Yep, and if you put a bit of windex into a coffee mug and nuke it for a few seconds it works even better.  I warm the windex, drop my jewelry in for a few minutes and then fish them out with an old toothbrush and scrub them that way.  Once that step is done I rinse out the mug, put in some water and heat until boiling (remember, jewelry is just a combo of metal and stones - provided they're not soft stones, you'll be fine) and drop them in for a few minutes.  The hot water rinses any windex residue off and since its so hot, the water evaporates leaving no water/windex spots.  (A former jeweler friend of mine clued me in on the water part and its fantastic!)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use Sunshine Jewelry Cleaner products. They sell them at our local Women's Expo, but I'm sure you could find them online too. They work great, and you can use them on soft stones too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary my read shelf:
    Tawny's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) image
  • Someone told me their jeweler advocated a small amount of toothpaste on a toothbrush, so that's what I've always done. Works pretty good for me!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

In my Think Tank, KM, Porteen + LowePro bags: Canon 5D Mark III / 5D Mark II
    16-35mm 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 100mm 2.8L IS, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
    Lensbaby Composer + 0.42x SuperWide, Holga Lens, Speedlite 580EXIIs + PWs,
    Mac LR4 + CS6 + Nik Editing Suite
  • imageGeek_Girl:
    imageHarrietNJMommy:

I take them to Tiffany's to get them cleaned (my e-ring and wedding band are from there).

Yep, and if you put a bit of windex into a coffee mug and nuke it for a few seconds it works even better.  I warm the windex, drop my jewelry in for a few minutes and then fish them out with an old toothbrush and scrub them that way.  Once that step is done I rinse out the mug, put in some water and heat until boiling (remember, jewelry is just a combo of metal and stones - provided they're not soft stones, you'll be fine) and drop them in for a few minutes.  The hot water rinses any windex residue off and since its so hot, the water evaporates leaving no water/windex spots.  (A former jeweler friend of mine clued me in on the water part and its fantastic!)

I will have to try this! I just use toothpaste and a toothbrush.  My rings sparkle and look so awesome after. 
    April 2009
  • imageCountryMile:
    imageGeek_Girl:
    imageHarrietNJMommy:

I will have to try this! I just use toothpaste and a toothbrush.  My rings sparkle and look so awesome after. 
    Wow! I just tried to clean my rings with Windex,warm water and toothbruch and they LOOK AWESOME. Thanks!
    April 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"