Austin Babies

Afraid of the dark and monsters

My DS1 has not wanted to sleep in his room for quite a while. At first we were ok with it since we thought he was adjusting to DS2 and didn't want to deal with it. But, it's really becoming an issue. He says he doesn't want to be by himself and he has been talking about monsters and being afraid of the dark. I think this all stems from watching too much TV and learning about monsters and the dark from TV. But, with DS2 the TV has just had to be used a lot more than we would normally like and it seems like every kids show has an episode about the dark or monsters (except Curious George!)

Any advice on things we can do to get him comfortable going to sleep in his own bed again? Anyone have neat night lights or other things that light up that he might like to use at bed time?

Anyone else have this same issue? DS2 is sleeping in our room with us so I think maybe this might have something to do with it. He also keeps asking to drink from a bottle and asks for milk when DS2 gets milk, mimics DS2's crying, etc...

Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>

Re: Afraid of the dark and monsters

• Coop will not go get something from his room in the DAY if the light is off.  He's very afraid of the dark.  At night, we have 2 night lights on in their room and he's good with that.  We always tell them that monsters aren't real b/c they are always yelling "monster!  monster coming to get me!"
  • I've heard making "monster be gone" spray works wonders.

Just a spray bottle with some water, sparkles, some extract or essential oil for scent and there you go. Make a batch together and maybe make up a little something to say when you spray it.

good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a bottle of Monster-B-Gone spray as well as a growling dinosaur flashlight (got it at HEB two Christmases ago). They're worked great and we no longer have a monster problem.
  • imageMrsAJL:
    We have a bottle of Monster-B-Gone spray as well as a growling dinosaur flashlight (got it at HEB two Christmases ago). They're worked great and we no longer have a monster problem.

good ideas! thanks

Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>
  • We have the closet light on. We do a check around the entire room to make sure everything is safe. We say a no monster prayer. We have an army of stuffed animals around the bed for protection.  We have a super flashlight in case a corner is dark and scary and she needs to see what is in it.  We've been dealing w/ monsters and scary imagination for several years now.  She'll be fine for months and months and all of a sudden, she gets scared again.  We've tried lots of things. Every kid is different but trying different things and different combos of things has helped us.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"