2nd Trimester
Options

Thoughts on Bassinet?

I have been trying to decide whether or not I want/need a bassinet/moses basket for the first few months.   My concern is whether or not its safe for a newborn to sleep there?  I am not planning on using a bumper based on the new AAP recommendations so I am concerned that a bassinet would have the same problems since so many of the models seem to have padding on the side.   On the other hand, I've been told this is a must have item from other new moms I've talked to.  Has anyone else read anything about this?

Re: Thoughts on Bassinet?

• Options
    We are using a cradle since it's not padded all around like most bassinets are.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I *might* get a cradle, but not a traditional bassinet because of the padding. However I haven't decided for sure yet. The PnP we are getting does come with a bassinet that the baby could sleep in, or it could sleep in the PnP since we plan on having that in our room anyways. 
    IMG_4833 IMG_0119 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I suggest the Fischer Price Rock n Play. It has the basinett safety ratings and no padding. I used it for DD's naps until she was about 5 months old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD used a bassinet.  Yes it was VERY padded and cozy and I would have loved to sleep in there.  And since she was not moving at all, not rolling, etc... it was fine.  I know people who keep bumpers in cribs until the baby moves/rolls.  If they are not moving, they can't suffocate, just put baby in the middle.
    Picture3-3.jpg

Our Twin Baby + a Big Girl Blog

And with the delivery trifecra of one twin vaginal, one c-section with general anesthesia for twin B, Spencer and Sidney joined us at 35 weeks exactly on June 18.

• Options

We have an arm's reach co-sleeper bassinet that I'll be using again. I actually didn't use it as a co-sleeper last time, just left all four sides up and put it next to the bed.Very handy if you're planning to BF, and I always liked being able to take a peek down at DD whenever I woke up.

It's very safe for the size baby that goes in there. As PP said, a bassinet is usually for a baby who doesn't move much yet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are using a cradle that was given to us.  If I had to buy one, I think I would stick to a cradle still.
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I'm using a co-sleeper while he's little to keep him in bed with me, then he's going to the crib. The co-sleeper I bought has breathable mesh on the sides but it is sturdy too. I bought it from amazon.
  • Options

imageHappyMama2011:
    I suggest the Fischer Price Rock n Play. It has the basinett safety ratings and no padding. I used it for DD's naps until she was about 5 months old.

THIS. I am getting the Fisher Price Snugabunny Rock N Play. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Snugabunny-Deluxe-Lightweight-Sleeper/dp/B005IWM73S

----------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Visit The Nest!
    ----------
    "Everything happens for a reason"
    ----------
  • Options
    I had one for DS1 and I hated it! I ended up putting his pack N play in our room (it has the attchment for the newborns to be in)
  • Options
    I wasn't planning to get a bassinet, buy my dad has my bassinet from when I was born.  He will be fixinging it up and that's what we'll use.  We will definitely be replacing all the padding and decorative linens.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We're just using a PnP with a bassinet built-in. I wanted a bassinet, but realized it's really not a necessary expense. If I really want one, I'll probably get one with #2.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't even think of that option.  Thank you!
  • Options
    If you are concerned about a bassinet would you consider just using a pack and play?  I know a lot of people use them to have the baby in their room.  FWIW, I am planning on breastfeeding our twins (if all goes well) and even then I am putting them in their cribs from day one.  Babies are noisy and as a new mom you are going to be listening for every little sound anyway so I don't need that right next to me in our room.  Just my opinion, I know it's not an extremely popular one, but we are going to have a video monitor and put them right into their rooms.  I would skip the bassinet/moses basket and go with their cribs or a pack and play.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"