D.C. Area Babies

Cost of occasional babysitter

Hi all - I was just wondering about the cost of an occasional babysitter, for an infant. This would be maybe one afternoon a week for a few hours.. and not the same day each week, either - more on an as-needed basis (I have no control over the timing - it would be work dependent). Because of the huge flexibility needed, I was thinking it would be better to hire a college student or maybe a senior in high school who has experience with babies, although it does worry me to think of leaving a baby with someone so young. Anyway, does anyone know how much babysitters cost? I think I was making about $8 or so, ten years ago, so I am totally out of the loop! Also, if you had the same kind of need for an occasional babysitter, how did you find someone?
Diagnosed with Stage IV Endo via Lap, 8/10
Started TTC, 11/10
Excision via Lap (60% of ovary removed), 5/11
IVF #1, 8/11 C/P :(
Surprise BFP, 9/6/11!
Betas, 179/307/1160
Heartbeat of 111, 9/26/11
Heartbeat of 176, 10/12/11
Confirmed GIRL!!!! 11/25/11
BabyName Ticker

Re: Cost of occasional babysitter

• Where are you located?
  • We pay our babysitter $10 an hour.  Our son is almost 6 months and she has watched him occasionally since he was about 3 months old.  She's a SAHM looking to make some extra money and we found her on www.care.com .
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry, I'm in Alexandria. Alliapistor, that is EXACTLY what I'd love to find!! I will check that site out!! Thank you!
    Diagnosed with Stage IV Endo via Lap, 8/10
    Started TTC, 11/10
    Excision via Lap (60% of ovary removed), 5/11
    IVF #1, 8/11 C/P :(
    Surprise BFP, 9/6/11!
    Betas, 179/307/1160
    Heartbeat of 111, 9/26/11
    Heartbeat of 176, 10/12/11
    Confirmed GIRL!!!! 11/25/11
    BabyName Ticker
  • We paid the highschool neighbor girl $10/hr. 

You might want to look into this deal on Living Social right now -

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/220576?rpi=49618078&ref=personalized-link-box-49618078&rui=21488556

The regular price is a little steep (at around $18/hr + a service charge) - but, if you buy this deal, it's $56 for a 4-hour stint.  I bought it for when we can't get the neighbor or my sister to babysit, and we reeeeally want to go out!

• We found ours through friends/neighbors, they use her when we aren't available to watch their son.  We pay her $14/hr, but she used to work in the daycare we currently send H to so I know she is extremely qualified.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"