Trouble TTC

Thoughts on age differance in relationships

Eww.  I just saw a pic on FB of a HS classmate of mine with a girl and thought it might be his daughter (who is about 14) but nope, it's his new girlfriend.  I admit I went to her page and she's 12 years younger than us.  He's 33, she's 21.  I know I'm six years younger than my husband...but does anyone think more than 10 years before you're middle aged is kind of creepy?  Like if he was 45 and she was 33 it'd be another story.  But she just started going to bars.  And she's closer in age to his child then to her.  Am I grossed out for no reason?

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
Child Free Now?
S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

Re: Thoughts on age differance in relationships

• I'm probably not the best person to answer this, given that I am 27 and my husband is 41. In our case, I am a lot more mature than most people my age, and my husband and I had a great friendship before we were dating/married. To be honest, I forget about the age difference a lot of the time because we work so well together. Is it strange that I am 27 with four teenage stepchildren? Probably. But I think "grossed out" is a bit harsh.
    Hubby + Vasectomy = IUI with Donor.
    March 2011 - IUI #1 = BFN
    April 2011 - IUI #2 = BFN
    May 2011 - Monitored IUI cycle to see what's going on. Ha! Tons of follicles, none big enough to do insemination.
    June 2011 - Nothing - unexplained (probably stress) 58 day cycle.
    July 2011 - Switch from Clomid to Letrozole. Let's get these follicles growing! 2 follicles big enough, HCG injection, BFN
    Break taken to focus on our marriage and less on not getting pregnant.
    February 2012 - Ready to get back on the horse and try IUI #4 - - BFN
    May 2012 - IUI #5 with Letrozole and HCG - BFN
    June 2012 - Doctor wants to move to injectible IUI or IVF. We don't want IVF but agree to do injections.
    Currently - Saving money for Injectible IUI cycle and taking the first steps towards adoption!
  • 33 and 21 is a big age difference and I agree with you, that 45 and 33 is totally different. By that point in your life you are both "middle age" and presumably want the same things in life and are at the same stage of maturity.

But 21 is just a baby! I think about all of the people I knew at that age (and how I behaved) and can't imagine being in a relationship with someone who is 33. And he must be the "creepy old guy" at all of the parties he goes to with her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband is 12 years older than me.  Some younger people are more mature than others in their age group and may have been through things that made them more mature.  This was the case with myself, I know its hard to not judge though and I know people do judge but I just laugh it off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think there's a generic answer for all age differences. It depends on the circumstances and the personalities of the people involved. A lot of people think it's weird that I'm older than my husband. But he was more mature than any of the people my age I had dated.
  • I "dated" a guy who was 35 when I was 23. It didn't last very long because sadly, I was the mature one in that relationship. I will say it was mostly physical. He was a beautiful specimen of a man. 

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of that big of a gap that young, but it does depend on the people. I can see how it might work if the younger person is more mature (or I guess if the older person was very immature which would be sad in itself). It doesn't really gross me out, but I wouldn't put much stock in that type of relationship.

**PAIF/SAIF Welcome**
    TTC #1 March 2010 - Nov 2012
    Me: 29, PCOS (anov), Hashimoto's Disease // DH: 30, normal SA
    3 Clomid, 1 Clomid/Menopur, 1 Menopur w/ TI (CX 4x's due to cysts) - All BFN
    1 Clomid/Menopur, 2 Menopur, 1 Follistim w/ IUI - All BFN
    RPL & Karyotype testing normal

IUI #5 (12/1/12) --> Follistim + 1/3 hCG Trigger = BFP! EDD: 8/23/13
    Betas --> 61 (13dpo) // 156 (16 dpo) // 223 (18dpo) // 656 (21 dpo)
    U/S --> 5w0d - sac seen // 6w0d - hb detected // 7w0d - hb seen and heard, measuring 6w6d!
    8w6d - wiggly baby! // 9w3d - wiggly baby with fingers!

Baby boy born 8/24/13

imageimageimage 

My Blog: Searching for Lucky Socks

• Age difference is not a big deal to me. My aunt and my uncle are 13 years apart. Yes 21 is young not all 21 year olds are partying it up in a frat house and not all 33 year olds are hanging out at home going to bed early. To me it depends on the people involved.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It doesn't really "gross me out" but I definitely thinks it's weird.  My sister is 8 years older than me and just married a man two years younger than me.  She's now 36 and he is 25 at the moment.  I don't agree but what are you to do?
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• It usually grosses me out. There's a few times I haven't felt that way, but most times it creeps me out... Mostly I'm wondering why this older man is robbing the cradle and what's wrong with him that is causing it...I know that's judgey but it's how I often feel.
  • imageDurham1008:
    I don't think there's a generic answer for all age differences. It depends on the circumstances and the personalities of the people involved.

Whatever makes them happy. They are the only ones that can decide what is right and wrong for them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2002 Lap. surgery Stage 3 Endo
    Amenorrhea/Anovulation since 2009
    3/2012 HSG left dialated/Hydrosalpinx, right tube blocked
    3/2012 SA - Normal! Go little swimmers!
    Lap. surgery 6/13/12 stage 4 Endo Cleared tubes, removed cysts and adhesions.
    Repeat HSG, right tube blocked/left hydro. PCOS, and Endometrial hyperplasia.
    Moving forward with purchasing a home, then maybe IVF/ adoption/embryo adoption/ or child free.
  • It doesn't necessarily gross me out, but I do think it is a disaster waiting to happen given her age. Being only 21, she has sooooo much life to experience. It would be hard to imagine her settling down so young with an older guy, especially if he has children (if he does). She needs to sow her oats with guys her own age! (kidding, sort of). So, in conclusion, I'd say that it wouldn't be surprising if she ditched him in the near future. Like you said, if she was past all that and was 33 and he was 45, totally different story.

I will say that, despite always being a bit more mature for my age, even now in my 30's a 6 year age difference between me and DH seems like a lot sometimes......

Married since 2008 | TTC #1 since 2011

2 losses: Nov '11 and Aug '12
    Dx: Feb '13 - HSG shows clear tubes but minor diverticulitis; Borderline DOR; Low DHEA and low testosterone.
    Moving on to IUI or IVF.

3.4.13:  Holy crap! Surprise natural BFP on cycle #19. EDD 11.12.13
    We've got a peen.....it's a boy! 
    Little man born 11.17.2013 via c-section

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Age differences like that don't bother me. As long as both parties are consenting adults, then to each his own. I know quite a few couples who have a 10+ year age difference. My grandparents were 13 years apart. DH's old coworker is 16 years older than his fiance.

ETA: I have always prefered men that are at least 7 years older than me (because I'm "mature" for my age). Before DH and I reconnected, I was dating someone 15 years older than me because I wasn't interested in partying it up like most 21 year olds.

Me: 25
    Dx PCOS (June 2006, re-confirmed March 2012), Anemia (May 2010-Still fighting to correct it), Fibromyalgia (May 2011)
    Initial b/w - normal
    HSG (March 2012) revealed right tube open and looking great. Left tube deformed with hydrosalpinx.
    Lap (April 2012) Removal of left fallopian tube. Right tube open and viable, but "rather enlarged." NO evidence of endometriosis...Uterus looks beautiful and "very capable" of carrying a pregnancy!
    October 2012 - Clomid 50mg + trigger + IUI = BFN
    With all factors taken into account, RE is recommending IVF. Planning on moving forward with treatment as a single woman using DS by Summer 2013.
    After 17 months of trying, Surprise BFP #1 2.15.2008 | EDD 8.7.2008 | Lost 2.16.2008
    After 2 more years of trying, Surprise BFP #2 1.29.2012 | EDD 9.11.2012 | Lost 1.29.2012
    Surprise BFP #3 3.27.2012 | EDD 12/2/2012 | Lost 4.1.2012
    imageimage
    someecards.com - Get a colonic?!? Some older lady said that's what she did to cure her infertility...Who knew a fancy enema and a sparkling clean ass would cure my infertility.
    My Blog Pinterest
  • I think it depends on where you are in your life. When I was 20, I briefly dated a 30 year old. I myself wondered what a 30 year old would see in a 20 year old at first but we were kind of in the same place in life in that I was just graduating from college and starting my career and he was in law school and doing his externships. We both lived in apartments on the opposite side of the block from each other. Still, I wondered about the age difference and asked him about it. He came from a large family and had a sister my age and was very close to her and would hang out with her and her friends so it didn't seem like a big deal that I was that much younger.

I don't have a problem with age differences as long as both people are adults and know how old the person they are dating actually is. I know someone in his mid 30s who is dating girls in their early 20s and telling them he is in his late 20s. Now that, I have a problem with. 

• I personally think its creepy. But thats just for my life and my lifestyle. I usually dated older men and when I was 18 my bf at the time was 23 and that didn't go over too well cause I was a senior in HS and he didnt mention that to his parents lol whoops. I like to stay within a few years older than me. I cant help but wonder if he is re living the glory days with that one.....
  • Well, like I said - I am six years younger than my husband.  And sometimes the age differance is obvious...but mainly only when we are referencing something from pop culture from the past and I'll be like "OMG, I remember this!  I was in 8th grade when this song was popular." And DH is like "I was in college at that point." Ummm, yeah. 

Really I think it's that she is just 21.  Working in retail, I am around a lot of kids about that age (18-22) and I have very little in common with them.  I have much more to talk about with the 40, 50 and even 60 year olds! 

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• I agree with many of the pp, it depends.  I question the judgement of people when there is an age gap at that young of an age, but I also dated someone 10 years older than me at that age.  It was a phase and didn't last long.

My DH is 5 years younger than me and it works for us.  My mom & step-dad are 17 years apart and have been married for almost 30 years.  But they didn't get together until my mom was in her late 20's.  So it really depends.

Me- 37, DH- 32. TTC- June 2010- Adoption journey started April 2012 image
  • I think it sort of depends on the circumstances too.  If it's a 33 year old that isn't interested in someone unless they're 21 or younger... That's one thing.  I know a guy that trolls the mall looking for younger women.. and he's several years older than me.  I wouldn't put my marriage in the same category as his relationships just because the age differences may ultimately be similar.

Even though, I've never meshed well with guys my own age... and definitely not younger.  Neither DH nor I started out looking for someone that much older/younger.  DH and I are 12/13 years apart.  We've been together for 11 years... and married for 6.  It works for us... He acts younger than he is... And I act older than I am.  So, I guess it balances out.

I think calling it a disaster waiting to happen, as a PP did, is a little offensive to my marriage - and marriages like mine.  But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and feelings.. And that's perfectly fine.  I certainly don't expect someone to jump on the age difference train just because I enjoy the ride... Smile

Me: 32, DH: 45... TTC #1 since May 2010
    July - Nov 2011: Testing with OB... OB said everything looks good
    March - Sept 2012: Moved to RE.. 4 treatment cycles - responses of one or no follicles
    09.03.12: Diagnosed Poor Ovarian Response.. DE IVF only option
    Feb - Nov 2012: Pursued Adoption. That door slammed shut.
    12.23.12: Surprise BFP (first ever)... 12.25 - 12.31: Natural M/C
  • Age is just a number. I don't find that weird at all. 
  • Age difference does not bother me at all. I just feel like you can help who love or who you are attracted to.

Diagnosed with Endometriosis 05/05
    O5/05 Lap #1 for diagnosis
    12/08 Lap #2 for pain management
    Married on October 3rd, 2009
    Me:30 DH: 35
    TTC since 05/10
    Clomid 25mg since 08/10
    06/11 IUI #1 ended with a m/c
    08/11 IUI #2 BFN
    09/11 IUI #3 BFN
    12/11 Lap #3 for IF
    04/12-06/12 Letrezole, Trigger shot, TI
    07/12 IUI #4 BFN
    "When you feel like you cannot walk another step, that's when you try to run another mile." Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Age difference does not bother me at all. I just feel like you cannot help who love or who you are attracted to.

Diagnosed with Endometriosis 05/05
    O5/05 Lap #1 for diagnosis
    12/08 Lap #2 for pain management
    Married on October 3rd, 2009
    Me:30 DH: 35
    TTC since 05/10
    Clomid 25mg since 08/10
    06/11 IUI #1 ended with a m/c
    08/11 IUI #2 BFN
    09/11 IUI #3 BFN
    12/11 Lap #3 for IF
    04/12-06/12 Letrezole, Trigger shot, TI
    07/12 IUI #4 BFN
    "When you feel like you cannot walk another step, that's when you try to run another mile." Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • vpinevpine member
    When I was 24, I was dating a 38 yr old, we even lived together at one point. I was still in the partying phase and he was probably going through mid-life crisis or something now that I think about it because he bought a red viper and was going to parties and clubs with me. I didn't feel that he was old, he looked really good and worked out. If he had wanted to stay home and go to sleep early, it wouldn't have lasted longer than a weekend, lol. I do think 21 is too young for a 33 yr old but if they're on same level and have same interests, good for them, it's most likely for fun and for the meantime....
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"