Babies: 6 - 9 Months

hands in fists?

Hi ladies,

How often does your 6-9 month old make a fist with their hands?  My little guy has some issues (torticollis, very low weight gain, acid reflux, major issues with eating solids, etc) so I am getting more and more concerned.  I have read online that an infant keeping its hands fisted can be a warning sign.  My little guy doesn't have any issues opening or closing his hands, he uses both of them and he's always reaching for things, playing with toys...he doesn't exhibit any issues.  But sometimes when he's not doing anything with his hands, he's making a fist. He's 8 months and other than the issues mentioned above, he seems to be developing normally (soooo close to crawling but not there yet), smiles, loves peek a boo, hugs, babbles (da, ba, ma, etc), sleeps well (although separation anxiety seems to be hitting), has two teeth already, can hold his own bottle and feed himself (experiementing with sippy cups right now)..... 

Thoughts?  Does your little one still keeps his hands fisted at times? 

Thank you!

Re: hands in fists?

• DS has his clenched sometimes, too.  He has no issues with his motor skills so I don't worry about it too much.  
  • DD has her hands in fist a lot, when she's uneasy and not relaxed. She's got her arms up and fist in the tub, in the stroller, swimming for the first minute or so.

What is fists supposed to be a warning sign for?!

image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD had her hands fisted quite a bit and Early Intervention told us that it was a sign of a strong Moro reflex. This was a few months ago, she has since loosened up. I'm not sure what the long term effects of this might be. We also have reflux and are a preemie. 
    3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • DD still keeps her left hand in a fist sometimes.  she just has been developing fine.  she started crawling last week!  she also had minor acid reflux and she just got out of the 3rd percentile for weight..
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • At times, DS still does the fists...I find its more when he's tense or upset.  I wouldn't worry, he sounds like he is doing good.  Just mention it to your pedi at your next appt.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"