High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Is it true that you aren't allowed past 40 weeks with GD?

What are your doctors saying? And does anyone else see midwives, and if so what do they say about it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is it true that you aren't allowed past 40 weeks with GD?

• Options
    My OB told me that I won't be going past 38/39 weeks, depending on how things are going we'll choose the date for my induction. I am not sure if this is all doctors, but it seems fairly common.
    imageimage
  • Options
    It depends on the doctor and how well controlled your GD is.  Last time, my OB was fine letting me to to 41 weeks, maybe longer, depending...I went into labor on my own at 39 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I go to Kaiser so I see an OB and midwife (mostly midwife).
    My GD is diet controlled and I've been doing pretty well but they will not let me go past 40 weeks. I'm actually being induced tomorrow so my baby will be born on her due date.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My first doctor would not let me go past 39 weeks, period. My second said we'll play it by ear if I was diet controlled, but I was on insulin and was induced at 39 weeks. There is an increased risk of the placenta deteriorating early with GD, which is why many doctors will recommend inducing at or slightly before 40 weeks.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had GD with my son and delivered at 38 weeks.  I'm scheduled for a repeat c-section with this baby 4 days before my due date.
  • Options
    My doctor already told me i will be induced at 39 weeks. sounds pretty standard
  • Options
    I actually asked my doctor about this at my last visit and she pretty much said that they don't normally let/recommend patients to past 40 weeks. She also said they typically induce at 39 weeks.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I actually just asked my 2nd doctor about this yesterday, since my 1st had said I won't be allowed to go past 39 weeks, and I didn't necessarily agree with it. I wanted to keep him in there as long as possible and go naturally if I could (assuming the GD is controlled okay and I wouldn't risk injuring him during delivery [which could happen if he's way too big]).

The 2nd doc explained it to me a little better. The risk isn't just the baby getting too big; the risk of stillbirth rises dramatically after 39 weeks in high-risk pregnancies, and they would rather deal with needing the baby's lungs to mature a little in the NICU for a week than having the baby be stillborn at 40 weeks, because the placenta has deteriorated or the amniotic fluid has started receding, etc.

So the 2nd doc told me that if all of my upcoming weekly BPPs and NSTs go well, he'll let me go to 38/39 weeks, but absolutely no later. Obviously if the BPPs and NSTs don't go well, we'll be looking at getting the baby right then.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"