D.C. Area Babies
Options

NBR--Seriously annoyed re: grad school

I am currently taking a grad class that is entirely online.

The professor assigned us to groups.  I emailed my group members about the portion of our project that is due on 3/5 this past Monday.  One group member has responded and the other has not. 

Normally, on the weekend, I do not get on my university email.  We have a busy weekend, so I know that I probably won't have the opportunity.  I don't want to have to get on this weekend if I don't have to.  The group member has had three full days to respond to my email.  I've also posted the questions/comments to our group discussion board.  No response.

At what point would you email the professor and tell her that the member is not repsonding to messages?

TIA

Re: NBR--Seriously annoyed re: grad school

• Options
    Group work sucks.  Do you have her phone number?  If so, call her?  But I also think the expectation that no work is done on the weekends isn't entirely realistic. I suspect that most people who work full time (not saying you don't - I assume you do), have a hard time doing school work during the week and prefer to do it on the weekends.  I know when H was in school, he had to do work on weekends.  Have you told this group member that you aren't generally on on the weekends and that it might make sense to set up a time that works for everyone going forward?  I don't think 3 days is all that long to respond if it's all been during the week and requires signing on to her school mail. 
  • Options

If she doesn't respond today (def. try calling if you have her number), I'd contact the professor tomorrow.

I'm in grad school as well & I personally don't see checking email as an onerous task, either during the week or on the weekend. It's part of your responsibility as a student to make sure you see any announcements about class.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have her number.  I should add, that I have received email from her during the week before.
  • Options
    imagekastle:

I'm in grad school as well & I personally don't see checking email as an onerous task, either during the week or on the weekend. It's part of your responsibility as a student to make sure you see any announcements about class.

I hated group work. When I was in grad school, it made up about 90% of our work, so I sympathize with being frustrated with your group member.

I'm sort of with Kastle on this one though. Part of group work and grad school is checking email. I had to do it on the weekends to stay in touch with my groups, and that was back when few people had access to email at home, so I had to drive across the college town to the computer lab to check messages several times/day. 

• Options

Are you annoyed because she's leaving you hanging with a lot of work to do? Or annoyed that you have to check your email and do some work on the weekend?

I understand being irked at the former (I hate hate hated group work in grad school), but the later seems kind of silly. If it's really that much a hardship to check your email, just forward it to your gmail or something. If you're unavailable to do work this weekend, did you already tell them that? Otherwise, they probably assume you're checking email and doing classwork on the weekends like everyone else. 

• Options

I'm annoyed because I can't proceed any further in the project until she gives her input.  We need to decide what book to read.  I really want to get a good portion of the book read this weekend if possible.

I know that this probably sounds silly, but it is frustrating.

Yes, I can forward my school account to a different addres.  I was just trying to avoid having to do it.  I like to have everything seperate when possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"