School-Aged Children
Options

Does gifted testing "transfer"?

Hi All!  My DD is in Kindergarten and has been selected to be tested by the district for next years gifted/advanced class.  The problem is that there's a good chance we'll be moving across the state in July or August. If she qualifies for the gifted program, will that score transfer to her new school?  I need to call the district to find out for sure, but I'm not ready to do that yet... just wondering what you may have heard. Thanks!
Doriimage
"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!

Re: Does gifted testing "transfer"?

• Options
    In ours it doesn't. They have an opportunity to test into it, but it's not a given. My nephew was in the GT program in a neighboring district, but didn't qualify when he transferred to the district we're in. Our testing is a little more difficult so I've heard this is common.
    -Sarah, Ryan 10.26.05 & Caleb 5.2.07 image
  • Options

Most districts would probably re-test.  Unless GT education is handled at the state level in your state, then each district's handling of GT education could be quite different.

I would go forward with whatever testing and placement procedures are necessary for your current school district.  In the meantime, I would get acquainted with the new district's GT program and maybe even make some exploratory phone calls to find out their protocols.  You don't want to miss out on any decision or application deadlines. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We moved districts a few years ago (just neighboring cities, so not too far). They requested the test results and made their own gifted determination. So they didnt retest but it wasnt an automatic in.
  • Options
    probably not because academics vary by district. that's why you always hear about parents not buying a particular home because it's not in a good school district.
    Photobucket Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    The scores will not necessarily transfer.  The new district will very likely retest if DD qualified in her current district.  But no, it usually it does not automatically qualify a child district to district.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JMayJMay member
    UPDATE: I called and called and finally found the right people - and I got lucky!  In Florida, at least between Broward and Manatee counties, testing records DO transfer!!!  Whoo-hoo!!!
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"