Breastfeeding

Antidepressants while nursing

I am struggling a bit with some PPD and am going to see my OB in a few weeks and I imagine she will give me a script for some meds.  Does anyone have any experience with taking an antidepressant while nursing and what, if any, affects there might be on supply.  I struggle now with low supply the week of and the first few days of my period so I'm a bit concerned about adding a new stressor to the mix.  Thanks in advance.

Re: Antidepressants while nursing

• I take zoloft and have while nursing my son for 18 months and my daughter for about 10.  I haven't really nursed without it, so I can't say the effect on my supply, but I've been able to successfully do it for that long.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was on an extremely low dosage of Celexa when DS was born and have since increased it to a 'normal' dose, with no effect on my supply.

Good luck & hope you feel better! PPD is no fun at all.

BFP #1: EDD 8/29/11, MMC 1/14/11. BFP #2: Damien Isaac born 12/16/11. BFP #3: Rowen Cole born 7/28/14. BFP #4: EDD 9/16/16.

Anniversary

baby blog

• Loading the player...
  • I am jumping on here even though I am not breastfeeding at the moment (plan to though in a few months Wink)

I suffered from PPD/PPA and took Lexapro (10mg) while nursing DD1 until it was time for her to wean. It didn't effect my supply nor DD.

I agree in that PPD is no fun and the benefits of taking an anti-depressant (even while bf'ing) outweigh the risks. Just tell your Dr. you are bf'ing and they will put you on something that is safe to use. Good luck.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemylittlesunshine:

I am jumping on here even though I am not breastfeeding at the moment (plan to though in a few months Wink)

I suffered from PPD/PPA and took Lexapro (10mg) while nursing DD1 until it was time for her to wean. It didn't effect my supply nor DD.

I agree in that PPD is no fun and the benefits of taking an anti-depressant (even while bf'ing) outweigh the risks. Just tell your Dr. you are bf'ing and they will put you on something that is safe to use. Good luck.

Thanks for replying (even though this is not my topic)...I just went to the doctor because I feel I have PPA and she gave me Lexapro.   Good to see someone use it successfully and not have an effect on your supply or child.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"