Natural Birth
Options

White coat syndrome sucks

Even with weeks of home readings with completely normal pressures, it looks like two slightly elevated blood pressure readings one month apart will kick me out of the running for working with midwives when I move.

This is very disheartening.  So now I have to decide whether I want to wait a week until my last ob appointment before I move, send my file to the midwives to be reviewed, then if it is approved take an afternoon off work at a job I am just starting to attend an orientation to see if they will accept me as a patient.

I want to do this, but they are making it so cumbersome that I'm about ready to give up, and I've only just begun.  I think I'm just going to say forget it and try to get in with a natural-friendly ob who is in the group practice and hope for the best.

Re: White coat syndrome sucks

• Options
    it does suck, luckily my HB MW lets me take my own readings at home. Are you sure you can't send them your home readings and tell them the situation?
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    I get this too.  My doctor always rechecks it and it is usually slightly lower than when the nurse checks it.  Last visit he was 40 min late so I just laid down on the exam table resting while waiting for him and when he rechecked my BP, it was in my usual low range.  So I would suggest as others have said with showing them your home BPs or ask them to wait a bit before checking your BP.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They have said that they will only consider the records from my current doctor when deciding whether to take me as a patient, so I have no chance to show them my own readings.
  • Options
    Hmm...I would find a new provider then to transfer care to that will accept home readings.  That's pretty closed minded to not consider that white coat hypertension is a real phenomenon.  I have several patients who are like this.  I had them buy a home machine, we checked it with our manual cuff to make sure it was accurate (not all of them are!) and then I have them check their home bps several times a week and bring in.  If I discounted that phenomenon, then I'd have a lot of patients passing out on the meds for hypertension.  Not good.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"