D.C. Area Babies

Questions on First Birthday, daycare that day, etc.

My girl's turning ONE a week from today (aaah!!) and I can't believe it. I can't take the day off, unfortunately, so she will be at daycare, but I am trying to think of how to make it special while she is there. Our DCP is great, and has two other little ones who are a few months older, and I'm trying to think if there is something fun I can do (or drop off) for all of them that day. 

Also, we're having a family party on Sat 3/10 and I'm apparently braindead for ideas. I think I'm just way too tired (I hear you mcatmay!).  Anyway, we're having a "No. 1" cake, Elmo theme decor, and my parents are bringing some apps, but I'm trying still to figure out main course food.  What do you think are good easy ideas? I swear I haven't entertained or had a party in so long I just don't know how to do this anymore...ugh.  Thanks in advance..

Re: Questions on First Birthday, daycare that day, etc.

• We had a tropical/tiki theme for my son's first birthday, so the food ideas went along with the theme - coconut shrimp, chicken skewers, tropical fruit, etc. I can't remember everything we served though.

At our daycare, people usually sent in something like mini cupcakes or cookies.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • For a weekday, we did a birthday breakfast with a treat (ice cream) at the end. Easy mains would be deli platters for make-your-own sandwiches, or lasagna/baked ziti. I'd ask your DCP about bringing in treats/activities - they probably have a birthday protocol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I like to make pulled pork and then serve some traditional sides.  You can keep the pork warm in the crockpot.  We also just do hot dogs and hamburgers sometimes.

Crockpot Pulled Pork

Spice Rub:
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 tbsp chili powder
    2 tbsp ground cumin
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp oregano
    4 tbsp paprika
    2 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp sugar

5-6 lb pork roast
    1/4 cup water
    2 cups BBQ sauce plus extra for serving

Rub the spice mix into the meat (on top of saran wrap and a sided cookie sheet - may leak). Wrap tightly in 2 layers of saran wrap and refrigerate overnight to 3 days.

Place in crock pot, add 1/4 cup of water. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Discard liquid, shred meat and place back in crockpot with BBQ sauce. Heat on low for 3-60 minutes until hot.

If you have a kitchenaid mixer that is actually the easiest and fastest way to shred the meat - with the paddle attachment on low.

• Is it sad that we didn't really do anything? At that age he was too young for cake. I teleworked that day and went over at noon (because he was born at 12:11) and he was sleeping. I cried.

Our party didn't have a theme. We just had a bunch of heavy apps--potato salad, orzo, crack dip, cheese and crackers, etc., plus cake. It was at 2:00, though, so I don't think people we really expecting a meal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• We did pulled pork in a crock pot, lunchmeat/cheese trays, fresh fruit & veggie trays.  It was more than enough!
    image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"