Multiples
Options

Moving with Newborn Twins

Hey Ladies, 

I just wanted to see if any of you have had experience moving with newborn twins. My husband will most likely be transferred out of state for his job at the beginning of April. The girls are due April 15th, but will most likely come this week (due to my pre-e). Do you have any advice on making a big move with brand new babies?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Moving with Newborn Twins

• Options
    I don't have any experience moving with twins, but I did move cross-country with a 6 week old.  The baby and I flew, we hired packers and movers (a LIFESAVER), and DH and his brother drove with the cars and the dogs.  Hiring the packers was the best money I ever spent.  Good luck!
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I would definitely hire packers and movers if at all possible and if not, I'd get as much help from friends/family as you can.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We moved with our 3week old and 5y.o. daughters.  We decided to drive rather than put the twins on an airplane.  The typical 7.5 hr trip was about 11 hrs with all of the stopping!  The girls did well, eating every 2-3 hrs, but my dh was drinking lots of coffee and had to stop often to pee as well.  Our twins were born at 37wks, 6 days and were healthy.  I made sure to have a pediatrician lined up for them before we moved.  We moved half of our stuff about a month before we actually left, and the rest was moved when we left.  Dh did most of it himself.  We used pods to save money and had guys come to move our stuff out and in so we didnt do any heavy lifting. It wasnt too bad.  The stressful part for me was taking care of the babies alone since dh didnt have a lot of time to take off from work.
    Mom to three beautiful blessings: Sweetgirl, 1/07 and twins Big girl & Booka on 11/11 (their mama nicknames)
  • Options

We moved when DDs were 6 weeks old. We took our time driving (a 13 hour drive normally, but a ways bit longer and an overnight stop with babies). We stopped at hotels off exits whenever we had to feed/change them to avoid big crowds and to have cleaner rest stops.

Looking back, I wish we would have hired movers, packers,etc. as it was very exhausting putting together a house (DH had moved all the boxes prior to the twins' birth but hadn't been able to do any unpacking until we arrived). I was still recovering from a c/s and so it took a long time to finally get out of boxes and feel moved in.

We moved again (when I was pg with #3) and this time around, we went ahead and had movers and I had my parents fly in to help with the kids and my dad lifted any boxes for me that were heavy. I"d suggest paying movers and/or family/friends to help so that someone can be assisting you with the babies, etc.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We moved into our new house at around 12 w (we closed at 4 w and then reno'd the kitchen, which i don't recommend - it is still only 80% done). If I could do it again, I'd work out the budget better to a) hire someone for at least some of the kitchen work and b) hire movers for all our stuff. We are still only 75% or so unpacked.
  • Options
    We are going to be moving to another state as soon as our house sells.  DH's company is paying for everything move related-packing and unpacking, etc.  Our plan right now is to have the nanny take them to my friend's house for the two days the packers and movers are there and then we plan to drive to our new state overnight but will stop at a hotel if we need to.  I'm not looking forward to it at all!
    Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"