Preemies
Options

Intro...Aiden Born at 30 weeks

I am Christie and my little man Aiden was due on May 4th. Well he had other plans. Aiden was born Friday, Feb 24th at 1:19pm exactly on my 30 weeks. 

It all started Tuesday, the 21st. We had our 30 week appointment (a few days early due to my work schedule). I had mentioned to my doctor that I was just having some lower abdomen discomfort, but it felt like stretching and I had an increase in my vaginal discharge but all clear and no odor, no bleeding or anything abnormal. She decided to do a cervical exam. Sure enough, I was dilated 2cm and 100% effaced. They sent me to the high risk doctor in the group after doing some swabs around my cervix for tests. We had an ultrasound with the high risk doctor and my water had not broken...what a relief.

I was then rushed across the parking lot to the hospital to labor and delivery where I was admitted. I received 6 grams of magnesium and then they started me on a drip of magnesium at 3 grams/hour to stop my labor. I was having contractions 5 minutes apart and I never felt them. They started me on steroids for the babies lungs as a precaution if I were to deliver. I ended up getting magnesium toxic by Wednesday morning. I was vomiting blood, blurred vision and could not move my legs. They weaned my mag drip to 2 grams an hour and I still was not therapeutic so I was placed on 1 gram an hour and I stayed on that til Thursday morning. Finally, my contractions had stopped. My doctor said because my cervix had nothing else to do but dilate, I was being admitted and placed on hospital bed rest for the next month. I knew I was going to be miserable. What was I going to do on bedrest. I was allowed to go to the bathroom and allowed to shower for 10 minutes a day. Thursday was a good day.

Come Friday morning, I was on antibiotics, my vaginal fluid tested strep B positive. I felt as if I had a yeast infection coming. I called my husband and told him to bring me yogurt in. When he got there, I was going to the bathroom every hour to pee, but no blood, I felt fine cause I was drinking a lot of fluids. I was laying in bed just feeling bad...having really bad discomfort in my abdomen, felt like gas pain...all I wanted to do was have a bowel movement. I got in the shower and that helped relieve some of the pain and then tried to have a bowel movement. No success but when I wiped, I had a little bit of bloody discharge. I saved it for my nurse cause I knew it was not good. She got me back in bed and hooked me up to the monitor to check on the baby and me. Sure enough, I was having contractions. I never felt them. My doctor came in to check me, my cervix was now dilated to 6cm...there was no stopping this. I was then surrounded by L&D nurses, a NICU nurse, staff nurses, the manager of antepartum and my doctor. They put in a new IV and asked me if I wanted an epidural, I said Yes...please. I was on the stretcher off to L&D, crying. I was greeted by anesthesia and they placed an epidural with no problems. It did not hurt, felt like a bee sting. Finally I felt at ease. My contractions were a minute and a half apart. My doctor did an ultrasound to make sure Aiden was head down....he was. She rechecked my cervix and I was now 9cm....she broke my water (I never felt it). I was numb from the waste down, I did have a lot of shivers which is normal from the epidural. I felt a lot of pressure on my rectum and thats when I knew to push. We did some practice pushes and then it was go time. I pushed for about 20 minutes, it was rough. I did 3 sets of 10 second pushes....by the time I got to the 3rd set, I was exhausted.

At 1:19pm, my son came out screaming and crying!! Thank goodness. He was taken by the neonatologist. His apgar scale was a 9. They were amazed at how great he was at 30 weeks. They said he was acting like a 32 weeker. Thank goodness for getting steroids on board. My son never had to be intubated or required real oxygen. He was only on 2 liters which is now off.

So now begins our road in the NICU. He is such a strong little guy. He was 3 lbs, 3 oz. He is not on a any oxygen and he is on 10.3 cc every 3 hours of breastmilk through a nasogastric tube. He is also on tpn and lipids...food through an IV.

I just wanted to share my story with you ladies. Please be prepared. These babies are stubborn and have no patience. Everything is out of your control.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Intro...Aiden Born at 30 weeks

• Options
    Congratulations on your baby! I also have a 30 weeker (30w 4d). Sounds like he's already ahead of the curve.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options

Thanks for sharing your story!

Congrats on your baby boy Aiden! 

My baby boy Aidan was born close to 31 weeks, and he was in the hospital for 35 days. 

So I hope that everything goes smoothly for you for your baby boy in the hospital. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Congrats mama!  You have one strong little man, try and hang in there!  My son was born 30wks 1 day.  I had received the steroid shots too.  He didn't have any breathing issues really, was on CPAP for 6 hours, thats it.  He was 2lbs 15oz.  He spent 38 days in the NICU.  He had no issues what so ever, just needed to grow. 

It's a hard road to go down, but let me tell you, it is well worth it.  Cameron had some delayed developmental milestones but by the time he reached 12 mos he was on track for his age.  He amazes me everyday.  Spend as much time with your little one...as long as the days may seem, the day you bring him home, it will all seem like a blur.

Best wishes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Welcome! I had my babies the same day as you <: stories posted below, crazy emergency c-section that happened so quickly at night that my husband couldn't get there in time. I was 34w2d and had twins, my girl was only one ounce larger than your son (she had IUGR). Both my kids are doing very well also! 

Are you home yet? I just got home today. Hoping your NICU stay is very short and uneventful!! 

Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Congrats- my little guy (not so little anymore) was born at 29w4d and was 3lbs 7oz. He was in the NICU until he was 35w adj. The NICU was a bumpy ride and sometimes it felt like he's never get home- leaving him every night was the worst part. So glad your little guy is doing so well. Definitely check out the preemie blog linked at the top of the board for more info!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    Congrats!  I hope Aiden continues to do well and has a short and uneventful NICU journey.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your little guy. Praying for a short and uneventful NICU stay.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"