Austin Babies
Options

possible dumb question - pre-K vs regular preschool?

I just assumed that if you had a 4/5 yr old in preschool, they were going to prepare them for kindergarten, but I am starting to think that's not the case?

I hear everyone talking about pre-K though like it's different.  Is it like a special state curriculum that is separate (and possibly more expensive) from preschool?  

And I think pre-K is different from Head Start, or am I wrong on that too? B/c Head Start prepares kids for kindergarten too...

DD is an October baby and will be 4 this year, so we still have time, but I am curious as to whether or not I need to start researching pre-K programs that are different or something.I don't want to find out too late that I should have been on some waiting list.

TIA

Re: possible dumb question - pre-K vs regular preschool?

• Options
    From what I understand Pre-k is only an option for lower income students, at least here in Texas.
  • Options

I've always thought and it's true out here at least that pre-k is a most school like/ structured atmosphere where as preschool has more free play/less structure, but still educational.

I think out here it's getting more popular to do both preschool and then prek since we've changed when kids can start school out here. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Depending on the district in Texas it Pre-K is for lower income families or families that are homeless or cannot afford other means of childcare, but some districts have lotteries that allow "normal" income students into the classes. There are also private Pre-K classes that follow state recommendations for curriculum. As for Headstart I am not sure if that is the same as Pre-K or if that is for kids with learning disabilities. For some reason I was thinking Headstart was for kids with ECI type issues.
  • Options
    imageMrsRosie:

imagemisjenn:
    Depending on the district in Texas it Pre-K is for lower income families or families that are homeless or cannot afford other means of childcare, but some districts have lotteries that allow "normal" income students into the classes. There are also private Pre-K classes that follow state recommendations for curriculum. As for Headstart I am not sure if that is the same as Pre-K or if that is for kids with learning disabilities. For some reason I was thinking Headstart was for kids with ECI type issues.

You must be talking about public pre-k, right?  Because our daycare considers any kids older than 4 who are not in kindergarten as "pre-k."

Public Pre-K in TX is for specific qualified income levels. Private Pre-K is offered via many different locations. The curriculum that is used depends on the location. Some Pre-K classes are designed to be more in line with school type curriculum and K readiness. Some classes are called Pre-K simply because it's the 4 year old daycare class.  

Headstart is a separate program targeted to specific income brackets as well. I don't know much about that but if you're interested in Pre-K and prep for K readiness, I'd look into various private Pre-K options.  

ETA:  It is also very likely that your daycare class is doing the same K readiness and doesn't call in Pre-K. I'd look at the 4 year old class, what they do and then the skills needed for a child entering K and make sure they align and you're happy. You don't necessarily need a specific Pre-K class.  

• Options
    OK, so I plan on asking the preschool tomorrow about what they offer - thanks for your replies!
  • Options
    imageMrsRosie:

imagemisjenn:

You must be talking about public pre-k, right?  Because our daycare considers any kids older than 4 who are not in kindergarten as "pre-k."

Yes, she means public schools.  They go to pre-k at 4 years old, its regular elementary school hours.  7:45 - 2:45.  Military, low income and non-Americans get priority.

Not every elementary school has it, either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageali-1411:
    imageMrsRosie:

imagemisjenn:

Yes, she means public schools.  They go to pre-k at 4 years old, its regular elementary school hours.  7:45 - 2:45.  Military, low income and non-Americans get priority.

Not every elementary school has it, either.

Yes, I meant public Pre-K. Sorry I should have clarified that first part.

• Options

um, please tell me I am not the only person who thought pre-K and preschool were just different names for the same thing.  I have a lot to learn!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"