Stay at Home Moms
Options

Would you accept money for this?

DH and I just saw an old friend from highschool last weekend.  We haven't seen him in awhile and he is a friend of ours but not a really good friend and not someone we see often.

He texted DH the next day and asked if I would be interested in occasionally watching his 1 year old for a couple hours at a time so that his girfriend who SAH could catch up on online schoolwork.

I am not a fan of babysitting other peoples kids for free, especially since I have my nephew so much but wouldn't mind doing it occasionally for money.  I feel weird accepting money since he's a friend of ours (we don't really know the gf though) but I definitely wouldn't want to do it for free.

Would you accept the money?  (I plan on doing it but will feel less weird about it if other's would accept money in this situation).

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Would you accept money for this?

• Options
    Yes, I would accept money for it. It's a business transaction. It sounds like it's not just a one time thing........
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    There is no honking way I would do it for free. 
    Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Honestly, I would accept the money. I watch 3 cousins of mine and their mothers pay... It'd be different if it wasn't daily, but it is, so they pay me.

Take the money, he isn't family ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Of course you accept the money.  This way when the couple of hours turns into several hours because she lost track of time you will at least be paid for it.  I say have them pay you on a per hour basis.

• Options

In this situation- yes. If he's not a really good friend.

I have watched friends' kids for free, but they are people who I would call very good friends and people who would watch DD for free if I needed. If it's not someone close enough that you are excited to see their child, then take the money. :-)

ETA: If they don't absolutely insist on paying you, they are rude.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It sounds like it's an ongoing thing so yes, I would accept money for it.  If it were an occassional "help each other out" type thing then no.

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Options
    Yes, absolutely. I wouldn't do it otherwise.
  • Options
    If it was a one time thing, I would do it for free. If this is something that is going to happen more than once, I would expect to get paid.
    BFP#1 7/09 DS born 3/30/10 BFP#2 5/11 M/C 6/11 BFP#3 9/11 M/C 10/11 BFP #4 5/20/12 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I would most definitely take the money.

My brother and his wife are TTC and have approached me about watching my future niece/nephew (full time) and said that they would pay me.  When I was still working, we paid my sister to watch Ben two days a week.  I would never expect that she do it for free.  Although, she does watch him every other month or so on a Saturday night so that DH and I can go out, and we don't pay her for that (she won't take any money).  I would watch any of my nieces/nephews on an occasional basis and not want to be paid for it.  But if it's on an ongoing thing, I would want to be paid - since, again, I would never expect any of them them to do it for me for free.

• Options

imagektsnshn:
    If it was a one time thing, I would do it for free. If this is something that is going to happen more than once, I would expect to get paid.

This. 

• Options
    When I babysit for my nieces and nephews I NEVER take money; sometimes I find money shoved in my bag.  If I was babysitting someone who was NOT family I would take money.  I actually do not enjoy babysitting at all, but will do it on occasion for family.  
    April 2009
  • Options
    I would only do it if I got paid.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The whole relationship will play out better if you are paid. People tend to value the things they pay for.
    Pregnancy TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageSuzEJ:
    The whole relationship will play out better if you are paid. People tend to value the things they pay for.

This. You also much less likely to be taken advantage of if they are paying by the hour. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better now about taking the money! :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"