Babies: 0 - 3 Months

My rights when pumping in public/work?

Granted, pumping at work and in public are going to garner stares, and it may be socially awkward. But does anyone know what my rights are in terms of pumping in these spaces?

Re: My rights when pumping in public/work?

• I think it might depend on your state.  I'm in Wisconsin and we have become very "pump/feeding" friendly.  Where I currently work, and my previous place, we were required to provide a place for moms to pump, even if it was just a private restroom.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ^I should move to Wisconsin!

I wasn't sure either, but I found this Q&A site (https://bit.ly/z7SELK) where you can ask OB/GYNs questions. It seems like there aren't any legal restrictions. 

• Loading the player...
  • There's a federal law that states your employer must provide you a place to pump that's not a bathroom and reasonable pump breaks. I believe your company has to be a certain size though so this could depend on your job.
  • At work, it depends on your state as to the specifics, but federal mandates that if your employer is a certain size, they must provide you 2 unpaid pumping breaks a day, in a lockable room that is not a bathroom.
  • pumping at work - it depends on the state for specifics, but federal law requires companies with more than 50 employees to provide ample space (lockable room with a chair and it can't be a bathroom) for pumping.  

would you really pump in public, like out in the open?  I nurse in public no problem, but honestly, pumping?  never.  it's much more exposing than nursing is.

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• imagemoleson99:
    I think it might depend on your state.  I'm in Wisconsin and we have become very "pump/feeding" friendly.  Where I currently work, and my previous place, we were required to provide a place for moms to pump, even if it was just a private restroom.

are there more than 50 employees at these companies?  by law, restrooms (even private ones) are not acceptable places to provide as pump rooms

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"