Parenting after a Loss

XP from PgAL: Preparation/Parenting Books

Are there any book recommendations that I can look into that give good advice for newborn/infant parenting and schedules?  I did look into the Happiest Baby On The Block dvd.  It was interesting and made alot of sense, but that's mainly just for learning how to get your baby to shop crytng/swaddling, ect.  I wonder about other simple routines like bedtimes, feeding times, ect.  Maybe I should ask my OB? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP from PgAL: Preparation/Parenting Books

• I liked WTETFY.  Not a cover to cover read but has a great index for almost every random question/concern that came up.
  • Honestly--I just went for it.  Trusted my mommy instincts and I learned a lot from TB and other moms I know.  I signed up on Babycenter.com for weekly updates which give some good info.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not a big fan of schedules. I just followed my baby. Now that she is older we have more of a schedule, but when she was a NB until she was about 11 months and was taking regular naps and started dropping nursing sessions, the world revolved around what she wanted.

Really all you need to do is hold your baby, feed your baby and change his diapers. The routines will come with time and what you find works for your LO.

I did enjoy reading The Baby Book by Dr. Sears for activity ideas at each developmental stage. I also enjoyed The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding-which is where I got most of my parenting advice. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imageRachaelA:
    I have What to Expect the First Year. I read 2 pages in the hospital while in labor. Haven't touched the book since. It looks like it has a ton of info though. Honestly, I could have read all the books in the world along with tons of advice from everyone, and nothing could have really prepared me for having a newborn. Its honestly trial and error IMO. What the books say may work for some babies (or that may be how certain babies are), but they may not work for others.

Rach hit the nail on the head here. I read tons of books and still had no idea what was coming when Q was born. Every baby is so different that I think it's impossible to really be prepared. I've got a super high maintenance DD who still screams inconsolably at 4 months and doesn't ever sleep for more than a couple of hours at night. If I were you, I'd spend less time trying to read prep books and more time peeing by yourself, sleeping, going grocery shopping alone, etc. Stick out tongue 

After two losses, a rainbow arrived! DD born 11.5.11
    Dx with severe Asherman's syndrome after a botched PP D&C (pursuing med mal)
    Hysteroscopy Oct '13, not enough progress 
    Hysteroscopy Jan '14, given an end-of-the-road diagnosis
    Joined International Asherman's Association April '14 
    Not ready to give up yet.
    Hysteroscopy with Dr. Isaacson (an expert in the USA) 6.2.14: Good prognosis, at least 50% of cavity open.
    Repeat hysteroscopy scheduled with Dr. I on 6.16.14. Great progress. Unbenched!!!!
    Discussing actively TTC with DH after the heartache of the last year. We're both reeling.

Please, please, please. 
  • imageMrsAtch:

imageRachaelA:
    I have What to Expect the First Year. I read 2 pages in the hospital while in labor. Haven't touched the book since. It looks like it has a ton of info though. Honestly, I could have read all the books in the world along with tons of advice from everyone, and nothing could have really prepared me for having a newborn. Its honestly trial and error IMO. What the books say may work for some babies (or that may be how certain babies are), but they may not work for others.

Rach hit the nail on the head here. I read tons of books and still had no idea what was coming when Q was born. Every baby is so different that I think it's impossible to really be prepared. I've got a super high maintenance DD who still screams inconsolably at 4 months and doesn't ever sleep for more than a couple of hours at night. If I were you, I'd spend less time trying to read prep books and more time peeing by yourself, sleeping, going grocery shopping alone, etc. Stick out tongue 

LOL, Thank you for the advice!  After reading everyone's responses, I've come to the conclusion that all my reading time should be for pleasure reading rather than preparation reading!  Looks like I'll be reading and researching AFTER she's here.  Thank you so much ladies!  I'm just such a planner, and I'm learning fast that there are NO PLANS when it comes to being pregnant, a mother, or caring for an infant.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"