D.C. Area Babies

So exhausted EVERY morning

I'm a fairly bubbly, energetic person. Since having the kiddo, I feel like i'm bone-tired all the time - since going back to work, i feel like it's gotten significantly worse. The girl wakes up at 4am to nurse and that's it so I can't even really blame it on her waking me up multiple times a night. I'm just sitting here in front on my computer, waiting for the coffee to kick in, absolutely dragging, and wondering if this gets better. Somewhere along the way the prenatal vitamins got dropped (replaced by fenugreek) so i probably need to see if that would help but are there any other suggestions from others? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers

Re: So exhausted EVERY morning

• I feel you. I was going to post something today as well. I knew I would be tired, but I feel totally exhausted most of the time. My LO also only gets up once a night, and sometimes not at all, but it doesn't seem to matter, I am just so tired everyday. I hope it gets better, or I get used to it, because the prospect of feeling like this for the foreseeable future is pretty depressing! The vitamins help a little bit, but I don't notice a significant difference on the days that I take them. Days that I get to the gym I feel better too, but it is so hard to motivate myself to do that.  I, like you, am relying on coffee to get me going in the morning.
  • I would definitely start taking your vitamins again (you don't have to stop them when you take fenugreek, as far as I know). How much sleep are you getting a night?

BTW, even if she's only getting up once a night, you will be amazed how much nicer it is when she STTN. Even that one waking can make a huge difference in how rested you feel. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageMrsPhilDunphy:

BTW, even if she's only getting up once a night, you will be amazed how much nicer it is when she STTN. Even that one waking can make a huge difference in how rested you feel. 

Amen to that.  Even if you're getting a halfway decent amount of sleep, if that 4 am wakeup hits you in the wrong part of your sleep cycle it somewhat negates the restfulness of a few hours of sleep.

imageimageimage
  • How much sleep are you getting? Are you getting at least 7-8 hours? You may need to start shifting your bedtime a little earlier.

Also, exercise helps with energy. It may seem counter-intuitive, because you're burning energy when you exercise, but I swear it helps. I feel like I'm dragging on the days when I skip my workout.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Agree on the even one wake up a night is enough to drain you for the day.  I was never an energetic bubbly person but I guess in comparison to how I am now it was better before kids.  I would give it to about 2 or 3 months past when they start STTN to get yourself back on a schedule.  I would also take naps on the weekend to help.  I would try and go to bed soon after the baby went to bed to make up for any wakeups or the earlier wake up time in the morning.

Let me know how the vitamins work out for you.  I just started taking some B complex and iron to try and help out my energy lack.

• My kiddo STTN, and I get 7 hours of sleep and I am still totally sleepy each morning.  I really think that working mommyhood is flat out exhausting, and it takes a while to adjust.  Heck, I didn't even HEAR my alarm this morning and woke up 1.5 hours late.  Yesterday, I was nodding off during a meeting where I was the notetaker - not a good time!  I've had to accept that coffee is basically my lifeline during the week, and aside from working, taking care of the boy, eating and sleeping, I shouldn't expect much of myself until the weekend.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok, so it sounds like it's all fairly normal. I just stopped taking vitamins mostly bc I forgot, not bc of the actual fenugreek itslef. Maybe i'll try to sneak them into my lunch bag and see if I can remember to take them that way. I get about 7 hrs of sleepwith the girl waking me up at the 5.5-6 hr mark. As for exercise....i'm on my feetall day with my job, I don't know when I'd have the energy for more than a walk with dd. I'll give it a try, though. I hate feeling like a zombie in the morning.
                                             Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • imageWinesNotWhines:
    How much sleep are you getting? Are you getting at least 7-8 hours? You may need to start shifting your bedtime a little earlier.

Also, exercise helps with energy. It may seem counter-intuitive, because you're burning energy when you exercise, but I swear it helps. I feel like I'm dragging on the days when I skip my workout.

I agree with all of this. DH and I started going to bed at 9pm when the babies came along, even when they started STTN, so we could ensure we got enough sleep. We also get up at 4:15am most days to exercise. The combination of at least 7 hours of sleep and exercise really helps. And, I think you're body just adjusts too.

• Honestly, I'd try going to bed earlier. I can survive on 7 hours once or twice a week, but not every day. Especially not if I had to get up at least once a night.

I say this as someone whose a$$ had been dragging in the mornings until about a month ago when I realized there was no reason I had to go to bed at 10, vs. 9:30. That extra half hour has made a remarkable difference in the mornings when I get up at 5:30. 

• definitely go to bed earlier, take your vitamins and add vit D3 (2000 iu) to your daily routine. Most women are vitamin D deficient. It will help.

• ditto all PP.  Take vitamins (I truly do feel the difference when I don't take them), go to bed earlier.  Gosh there's some nights where DH and I are in bed before 8 pm (we're up at 3:30 for work).  I still need my coffee to get me going in the morning but its more of a mental thing.  I enjoy the smell, relax in the car and drink it before pulling in the parking lot at work and when its nice on days like today, get outside and get some good ole fashioned sunshine!  It can be really refreshing. 

image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"