Single Parents
Options

If you went to court. How long from start to finish?

How long did the whole court process take for you? From the first petition (or whatever you did first) to the final custody judgement? It seems like this is going to be a very slow process. I am ok with that because i want to protect her for as long as possible.I think we are required to go to mediation before court so that will take more time before a court date (no way we will settle on a plan by ourselves) was it a couple months, a year? Did you go to mediation first? He has stopped responding to my emails (I update him about her because she is growing fast and having health issues and he hasn't seen her since January 16th) so maybe it's the calm before the storm or maybe he is having too much fun partying to even want to see her anymore. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you went to court. How long from start to finish?

• Options

Left Feb. 2008.  Got a temporary PP April 2008.  Mediation August 2009.  Divorce and PP finalized January 2010.  To court to modify Feb. 2011, in court yesterday to modify again.

A long road yes, but I had to give xh the time to show his true colors...it worked.  If I had pushed for final orders we would be in a very different place than we are now.  Sometimes, time is a good thing.

GL and be strong!

• Options
    It took about 6 months from when I filed paperwork to getting the signed paperwork back. We were required to go to mediation. We did not agree in mediation and started an investigation by a child psychologist (required in my state if the parties can't agree). Partway through that investigation we ended up coming to an agreement on our own and filing it with the court. It could have easily taken another 6-12 months if we hadn't agreed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Date of separation: July 3, 2009

Filed for divorce: July 31, 2009

Divorce was finalized: June 10, 2010

Custody was determined: December 2010 (our divorce was final by bifurcation) XH refused to sign the paperwork or agree to terms.

• Options

April 2010- filed for CS

June 2011- Court Ordered CS begins

July- Ex filed for visitation and modification of CS

End of Sept - mediation and temporary order lasts until March 1. 

• Options

May 2011 - Filed for CS

August 2011 - Temporary order for CS issued

November 2011 - Settlement and CS amount set

We did not have any custody disputes as BD doesn't wish to have any hands on parenting involvement, so I think that part made it easier.  Even though it was only 6 months, it was an extremely frustrating and loooong 6 months.  You can't help but get emotional about the process, and it seems to take forever, especially when the parties don't agree.  But now that I've gone through it I think the future modifications will be easier to handle - knowing what to expect and that getting emotional does cloud your judgement.

Good luck!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Paternity/Child Support Only: DD born June 1996

Filed in July 1996

First hearing Oct 1997 (He was a no show)

Second hearing Nov 1997 (no show, paternity established, child support ordered)

Appeal April 2003 (Ex asked to lower amount, Judge ordered jail time, and an increased amount in lieu of jail time)

Final court appearance May 2003. (Established new amount.)

After the last appearance, he quit dodging his jobs, and quit trying to get the amount lowered. Every time he lowers the pricipal amount, the crank up the back and he has to pay more.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"