Breastfeeding

11 months of EP...thinking about past 1yr.

So I'm trying to decide if I want to EP past a year...I'm not opposed to it, but I'm not sure that I want to.  Has anyone EP'd past then?  I just don't know how long much longer I can keep it up. 

I'm also thinking it will be really odd not to pump...because I feel like its all I've ever known.

Are there any actual benefits of WCM at 1 year?  Or is that just what has always been done?  I'm so confused and not sure what I want to do.  Any info/advice is appreciated.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 11 months of EP...thinking about past 1yr.

• Human milk remains superior to cows milk... well, forever. We're humans, not cows. It's just that by a year, milk is less of a baby's diet, so replacing it with a less perfect food is less of a problem. It really is up to you - your milk will still benefit your baby. You could also reduce your pumping and do part breast milk and part cow's milk. I'm going back to work at a year, and I think I'll let him have cow milk while we're apart and continue to nurse when we're together.

ETA: I forgot to say: CONGRATS! You have done such a wonderful thing for your baby to get this far!

• I'm not an EPer but wanted to chime in.  DS is breastfed at home, and I still pump at work.  He hasn't had WCM yet, and we don't plan on introducing it until April or May.  There are no medical advantages to WCM over BM, but is a quick and easy substitute for those who don't want to BF/FF any longer.  If you don't mind pumping longer you could, and then very slowly reduce the number of sessions over a period of months, and at some point introduce WCM.  I think that EPing for a year is absolutely amazing, and that anything beyond that is icing on the cake.  You should be incredibly proud of yourself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • First off, congrats on pumping for so long! 

WCM will provide the obvious things, such as calcium, vit. d, and calories. BM provides these and so much more. There aren't any actual benefits to WCM over BM. Its a personal choice if you want to switch.

If you are comfortable with pumping there is no reason you should stop. Also, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing.

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have nothing to add that pp haven't already said -

I just wanted to say, hoooooly crap, super mama. 11 months EPing is so incredibly impressive. A million heartfelt congratulations to you two!

• Thanks for all of the words of encouragement!  I may try to just see what she wants...she may not even *like* WCM so I may just keep pumping.  Just trying to get enough info together so I know what's going on when she turns one.

If she was nursing directly no doubt I would continue...I'm just really torn that she won't bf.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do you work? You could always "supplement" with WCM while you work, and pump at home.

Maybe just try slowly tapering off, over the course of multiple months, like a natural weaning process. That way it gets easier and easier for you over time, and it won't be a sudden shock to either of you.

I'm still seriously in awe. I plan to EBF for 12-14 months, but I can't imagine being able to pump for that long. Way to friggin' go.

•  I also pump at work but breastfeed DD when at home. We have given DD maybe 3 ounces total of WCM in the past few weeks since the pedi said we could introduce it and she has had zero issues transitioning to it- we gave it to her cold and without mixing any BM and she was just fine. I dont plan on giving her a lot of WCM because like they say "Breast is best" but I wanted to see how she would react to it. I do not know how much longer I am going to keep pumping at work.  I have about 2.5-3 months worth of breastmilk stored in the freezer right now and am replacing everything DD drinks at daycare each day. Like you, I want to quit (pumping- not nursing) but at the same time I don't because I really want DD to get her milk from me... it's a tough one. I know I go back and forth every day about it. Good luck with your decision and congrats on making it this far!

• I am right there with you.

I'm still making almost enough for both of them (The probably get about 5 5 oz formula bottles each a week now).  I'm down to 3x a day... how long do I want to EP?

Husband has cystic fibrosis. I'm a carrier. We did TESE, IVF, ICSI, and PGD. After two failed IVFs, we were blessed with our twins.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I EBF not EP, however DS's reaction on WCM made up my mind for me.  He wouldn't take it cold, room temp, or warmed.  Not from a bottle, not from a sippy cup, not from a regular cup.  (turns out he had some level of lactose intolerance the whole time but he was never very fussy.  I later figured it out because he would get a rash around his rectum whenever he had WCM or too much yogurt.)  So onward with the BFing.  I fretted over making the decision for him, but he made the decision for me.  You never know, the decision may be easier than you think.  Just stay with the pumping and if one day you say "I need to be done" then be done. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm just about 11 months EPing as well. I plan to stop at 1 year. However, I have entertained the idea of continuing to pump at work. I only pump 2-3 times/day right now and still get 25+ oz. My body has responded really well to weaning thus far and I might play around with it. It is too hard to try to entertain her and pump, so if I can get around that I may continue a little past a year.
    Hannah born 4/5/11
    TTC #2 since 1/14
    Miscarriage d/t blighted ovum 8/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"