June 2011 Moms
Options

BTDT sleep trainers: help, please!

I feel like all I'm "teaching" him is that falling asleep means bouncing/crying/screaming/rolling for an hour or more.  We never had this problem before sleep training.  Did things get worse for you before they got better?? 

The first few nights of GNST he fell asleep in 5-20 minutes.  But going to bed was never our problem--our problem is the number of times he wakes up. 

Then on day/ night 3 he learned to stand up in his crib.  FML.  So the next couple nights consisted of lots of standing & bouncing on his butt for an hour while laughing/yelling.

On night 5, he STTN!  (11:15-6:20, after a dream feed at 11pm). 

Night 6 (last night): Took an hour to fall asleep, then still woke up at 1:20, 3:10, 4:30, and 5:30.  He goes back to sleep just fine when we give him a pacifier.  But I put several in his crib, and he makes NO attempt to retrieve them himself.  Just lays there and screams.

Tonight when I put him to bed, he wasn't bouncing/acting like a crackhead--just crying for 1 hour and 10 minutes.  I don't know if my presence in the room is making things worse.  He gets to the point of being sleepy and calm, then just starts screaming and crying, loses the pacifier, which makes him cry harder, etc...

Is there light at the end of this tunnel?  Tonight I almost caved and nursed him to sleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BTDT sleep trainers: help, please!

• Options
    I have heard that it does get worse before it gets better. If he's waking multiple times and all he wants is the paci, have you considered taking it away? I think that's what the GNST book recommends. It makes for a SUCKY week but once they learn how to self soothe and go back to sleep after waking, they won't need the paci.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagehepcats:
    I have heard that it does get worse before it gets better. If he's waking multiple times and all he wants is the paci, have you considered taking it away? I think that's what the GNST book recommends. It makes for a SUCKY week but once they learn how to self soothe and go back to sleep after waking, they won't need the paci.

I have considered it.  I can't do it now, since DH went out of town today, and I need him here for moral support if I take away the paci.  I suck at sleep training by myself.  :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well GL and hugs! It does get easier. :) Martin sleeps like a champ now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"