Late Term and Child Loss
Options

Genetic testing

Forgive me, I can not remember everyone's circumstances of their loss.  But if any of you had a child with a chromosome abnormality, did you and your DH get tested to see if you were carriers?  There is a slight possibility that either of us has a balanced translocation which would cause our children to be affected.   We are starting to think about possibly becoming pregnant again and with that, maybe getting ourselves tested.  I know that will not give us a definite answer about the outcome of future pregnancies, and I am worried about the feeling of guilt or blame if we were to find out that one of us caused this.  Anyone have any experience, themselves or anyone you know?  Maybe this is a question better asked somewhere else?
BFP#1: EDD 10/11/11 Our sweet boy Robin was born 7 weeks a little early on 8/23/11 due to HELLP syndrome, unfortunately he was diagnosed with Trisomy13 and left us on 8/29/11. BFP#2: EDD 10/13/13
thelossblog.blogspot.com

Re: Genetic testing

• Options
    My loss was not caused by anything genetic so MH didn't get any testing done. I had a repeat pregnancy loss panel done (usually done after 3 early m/c) but I'm not sure of what all was tested for.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    We are waiting  for results right now to find out if Avery's condition is genetic or not.  If it is, the most likely scenario is that we are both carriers of the gene.  I am really scared to find out what they will tell us, but I think it will give us some peace of mind to at least know what we are dealing with.  Good luck with your journey.  It might be helpful for you and DH to talk about the possible outcomes before you get the results.  Assure each other that there will be no blame placed no matter what the results indicate.

My angel Avery- 2/16/12, My rainbow Blake= 3/4/13, Joyfully awaiting #3 5/11/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I didn't have a child with chromosomal abnormalities (that I know of), but I would get checked to see if we were carriers if this were the case. In deciding whether or not tested, you might ask for a consult to a prenatal genetic counselor to talk about the possible emotional effects of results either way (and get a consult if you get tested for your results).  One of my good friends is a prenatal genetic counselor and she has been immensely helpful to us through our loss.

I can't tell you if you'd feel guilty depending on the results, but I just wanted to remind you that it's not your fault. We can't help how our chromosomes are structured... it's not something that is within our control. 

(((hugs)))

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ? to Loss+M/PL+TTCAL+PgAL+PAL

PgAL/PAL welcome
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"