Stay at Home Moms

home schooling!

Is anyone doing this now or planning on doing this? I am getting nervous about how schools are lately and in my area leading me to want to home school. Please let me know if any of you do this or anywhere I can learn more about it. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: home schooling!

• No way! Not for me.
    Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • I'm a former teacher and even I would never home school. It is not for me, some people it is.

• Loading the player...
  • https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/63592017.aspx

This should answer most of your questions, I think.

When we do start hs'ing, we will be going through Christian Liberty Academy just like when I was hs'ed.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• You also might check out Mary Pride's Big Book of Homeschooling. It has a bunch of info in it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• We might, it depends on how DS's medical stuff goes over the next few years and what accomadations he might need and what the schools will and can offer.

We'd like to send to private school as first choice, 2nd choice is public or homeschool tied- just up in the air right now.

My Aunt HS'd my cousins for the last 10 years so I have her knowledge to run with. plus I had alot of friends in college who were HS'd.

• We plan on homeschooling.  Right now I love looking at https://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/

She has great ideas on what to do with little ones. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm considering it. A couple of our local districts have neat programs that are sort of half homeschool, half regular. It's structured more like college (where kids go a couple of days a week to subject specific classes). Curriculum, supplies, support and activities are also provided. 

As a teacher I saw how sad the situation is in some of the public schools as a result of No Child Left Behind. Plus I want our family to be the main influence in the kids' lives, not the peer group.  My biggest challenge would be staying motivated and diligent- I can be kinda lazy!

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • We are secular homeschoolers. I do not currently use a packaged curriculum. I have chosen to use books from the library and come up with my own stuff. It is the most time consuming way to homeschool, but our family likes it. My DS is very far ahead in math and reading, so we are very lucky there. Some resources to help you get started:

1. Homeschool Legal Defense Association: this site will let you know the state laws in your area and ways to get started in homeschooling. I would also look up the rules in your district which might be more scrict than your state.

2. Local homeschool group: I would search for a local group in your area. We belong to two groups. One is not very active and the other is pretty active. I love that group members have loaned me curriculum to view before I buy things. We are looking into a Latin curriculum for next year and this has been very helpful for me. I have also gotten a lot of hand me down books from other group members.

3. Homeschool skedtrack: This site will help you document your homeschool. I still perfer the paper and pencil method, but if I was going to go all digital this would be a site that I would use.

4. Pinterest: You can look in my account for any subjects that I plan to teach in the future or are currently teaching.

I would describe our styles as eclectic like most homeschoolers. We do a lot of hands on stuff because that is how my son learns best. I like a lot aspects of Waldorf education, Charlotte Mason, Classical, and Jefferson so I incorporate what I like. We also have a hard focus on forgein langauges and science in our house.

A lot of people like The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. I like that they lay out 12 years of study so you can see the big picture as well as the details. However, I think they skimp on math and science. They are very literature focused. They believe in 3 stages of education: grammar stage (memorization of facts), logic stage (where critical thinking begins), and rhetoric stage (where everything comes together). You can read my review of the book here. 

As a spine book (a book that is used just for facts and you get other books to supplement) I like Asimov's Chronology of the World. The book is like a giant timeline. You can see clearly where things fall in history which is great. Asimov wrote a lot of books from children to adults. I really reccomend any of the books that he has written.

You can PM me if you have any other questions.

• If you do decide to homeschool please plan MANY social activities for your child.  Many parents forget that a main portion of school curriculum is teaching children how to appropriately interact with their peers.

I am a teacher, and I know individuals who got their BS in Elementary Ed specifically so that they could homeschool.  I've known success on both sides, but far more often homeschooling makes life harder for the children than public school does.

IMO as a teacher, be aware of what is going on in your child's school and be active in what they are learning so that you can work with them at home too. 

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps it's brain." ~ J.K. Rowling
  • We will most likely homeschool our children. We have a variety of reasons for it. The big one is that we feel that it is what is best for our family.

As to where I've learned about it...I have an elementary education degree. I continue reading books about education. I suggest reading various books about various philosophies of education. Perhaps even try writing out a mission statement to help clarify why you want to homeschool.

FWIW, I loved school. It came easily to me and I like learning new things. DH, who is the most intelligent person I know, hated it. The way most classrooms are run just didn't allow him to shine. When left to his own devices, however, he learns more (and more quickly) than I do. He was the one who asked me to consider homeschooling.

After lots of thought and research, I am definitely willing to give it a shot.

I firmly believe that just as there are good and bad public/private schools, there are families who homeschool well and others who should not be homeschooling (but do).

You should definitely look into the homeschooling laws for your state.

I could go on and on about homeschooling. Hopefully that's enough food for thought for now.

Let me know if you want specific book suggestions. You could even just check out books on homeschooling from your local library to get you started thinking/reading about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just said today that I want to... there's so many school shootings now!

But I won't really.

• We are currently homeschooling our 6 yr old and she is doing great. You do need to make sure they get enough socialization. We have our daughter in a homeschool PE class that includes karate, Spanish or Chinese, music and free time play time. We also have her in Girl Scouts right now. We are looking into a co- op for next year. It was a hard decision but it is the best thing we ever did. The public school system in our county is awful and I did not want her in that situation. Our goal is to homeschool at least thru 5 th grade. We may homeschool all the way thru High school, but we are just wanting to get thru elementary school first. Good luck on your decision. 
  • THANK YOU EVERYONE for all of your responses! I appreciate it and will be going through a lot of info you gave me. I am wanting to do it in the early years I am pretty sure but I am not sure about the middle school and up. I def will take him places like church, friends kids and right now I babysit so he will be socialized I promise:)
  • Over the past couple of months I've really felt led to HS our kids for as long as possible (meaning I'd like to do it long term but I'm going to be flexible that if I think it isn't working we'll put them in public school). 

Some blogs I really like:
    1+1+1=1
    Confessions of a Homeschooler - I actually bought her letter of the week curriculum and it's awesome!
    2 Teaching Mommies
    My 2 Happy Homeschoolers
    Homeschool Creations
    HS Printables

I would also definitely check out pinterest, type something like "homeschool preschool" in the search box.  GL.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"