March 2012 Moms

Birth Story ? (much, much longer version)

? ?IT?S A BOY!? ? our son Ryland Matthew III?s - born earlier this morning; ? [maybe way TMI (yes, I know lengthy)]

Sorry - I didn?t quite make it to March; however, I?m not complaining ?cause he?s so soooo precious! His being born 3 days early had no ill-effect on either of us ?

Although his birth was supposed to have taken place this Saturday the 3rd it was just not what was in the cards or written in the stars ? you see GOD had in HIS infinite wisdom already decided it needed to happen now ? so without further ado here?s his (our son?s) introduction ?

Well earlier this morning at 9:33AM - Matt made his spectacular entrance into our lives, joining our family. He weighed in at 8lbs.-14.7oz and measuring a whopping 22 inches in length. He has brown hair - with what are two of the most beautiful; piercing, sparkling, crystal-clear, blue-gray (mostly blue) eyes - they just sparkle, shine. He?s just perfect; (well) to us - any ways!

He made that his journey into our lives; which all started at his conception; while I?ve been having some fairly painful contractions over the past few days starting this past Saturday afternoon with some major ones over the past 10-12 hours before becoming time able. These were just some which were not those I could get a handle on - just not at a set interval - those culminating early this morning. Then about 6AM I was jolted awake, having some of the strongest - craziest - cramping - contractions ever, which when you?re having one of these you just know they?re for real - the real thing, those wild labor pains - mine were occurring at a time able interval now; which were occurring at 6 minutes; lasting some 45 seconds. These contractions were definitely those (the kind) you have to stop, sit down, or stand - holding on to something while you?re experiencing one; then just start breathing through them! You?re just not able to move about or around with, walk-off or through; as you can those BH type! These do really - truly required so much more concentration, deep breathing in order to get through - so at around 6:30AM I starting calling everyone; first MIL so she could come over - stay with or pick-up the boys; DH - at work (leaving message - come to hospital); the hospital (let them know I?m on my way); doctor?s office (to notify) then finally my friend Cindy (who lived two doors down) so she could take me to the hospital. Arrived hospital at about 7:15AM where the admitting nurse in triage; sent me to L&D where they checked me over/in - I was already dilated - 7 cm, 100% effaced. My water (at the time) still hadn?t broken! DH arrived shortly - 7:45AM being allowed to come back - my doctor came in - asked if I had changed my mind about having - an epidural. To which I said NO; I was still planning for as much as possible an all-natural childbirth this time too; so she said that?s fine just wanted to make sure - now if your water doesn?t break; the nurse will take care of that - shortly. She left its now 8:05AM! My assigned nurse (Leah), as well as a young student nurse (Joan, in training), DH and I were just standing, sitting, lying around talking - so when I?d have another contraction they?d all know it by my facial expression. DH would simply say ?Laura breathe? that?s right sweetie you know what to do ? just focus, breathe. The nurse said yes - Embarrassed I now felt warm water running down in-between my legs. I was still somewhat uncomfortable (Embarrassed) that that nice young student nurse was taking care of the clean-up.

Then shortly afterward my doctor came back in to see how things were progressing. I was now having some strange pains in the abdomen, much stronger, somewhat burning, very well organized and very painful contractions that were now coming at 1 to 1-1/2 minute intervals and lasting some 60 seconds. She said ?looks like you?ll be going into full blown labor-delivery mode very shortly.? I looked at her - wanted to say ?I NEED TO PUSH THIS THING OUT - NOW!? as that the one contraction; which I was then having - subsided! BTW that one was a 12+ on a scale of 0-10! Most of my contractions; however, were in the 4-6 range for the most part. A few minutes later she checked me again - as she had predicted I was now at the magic number of 10 cm - I was now going into that wonderful, pleasing, pushing mode. Now I?m really pushing, that is pushing hard with each of my contractions - as I just wanted it out of there!

Here when you?re finally at this stage (of the game) it?s one of the most wonderful feeling you?ll experience; having that feeling of euphoria; relief - finally! Why? ?cause you know it?s going to be over, done, finished, shortly in short order!

This went on (for what seemed like hours) as little one?s head began crowning! My doctor was giving instruction on what to do as she said ?Laura push Hun; that?s right, good one, ready now; once again - good push, ok hold-it, ready - now give me another; Ok again, good one - good; now let?s try again, nice push,  now let?s go one more time - girl!? As his head was emerging DSH began saying: - ?wow! Oh, wow; it?s coming, honey, it?s coming, oh! It?s coming - OUT!? It was finally over - my baby was now outside! W O W!!! That last push really felt - OH! So good ? that his separation - finally! It?s complete he?s out!   image  I?m now just a little bit sore - really quite swollen down there; but, nothing I couldn?t handle!

By now DH is shouting (not literally) - ?IT?S A BOY! - IT?S A BOY! - ?LAURA? - YOU?VE GIVEN ME (sigh) ? A SON!!!?

Here Matthew who had only cried slightly as he was being laid on my chest until DH was to cut the cord - about three minutes after his birth (which he did)!  image  When this was all done the nurse took him so they could finish getting him completely cleaned-up, weighed, measured, have his foot prints, banded, diapered, dressed/wrapped-up, etc., etc., etc.

Now, I really couldn?t say with absolute; complete certainty or even be 100% sure if he (DH) were truly excited - or even tell you clearly if he were happy, elated, pleased, ecstatic, jumping for joy or what not - by all the commotion - emotional; total excitement that was going on - happening in DR at that moment! Even Leah and Joan were excited for us - as for me; well, I was just glad it was over! (Even that after-birth which was - uneventful)!

However, all-in-all I ended up actually only pushing him out just slightly less than a quarter hour (twelve minutes - exactly) which I didn?t think was really all that bad for my third time at ?b-a-t?! Ha-ha!

Now as my dad would say; ?Meanwhile back at the ranch? - they?ve returned, giving little Matthew back to me, so I could just hold, hug, cuddle, talk to, admire and (last; but, not least) nurse him. He was just looking all around that room and at me - like he might?ve been studying me and his surroundings. When he started nursing it all went rather smoothly; well for his (our) first time at this! He?s latched without hesitation on his part! I don?t believe we?ll have any problems with breastfeeding - ?knock on wood!?

Now for the record - benefit of all those first time gals (moms-to-be) when it?s your baby?s turn - finally s/he?s on the outside - it?s all over; you?re now holding that precious little new life in your arms there?s absolutely NO; I repeat NO more pain - it?s all over - finished; quickly forgotten! (At least it was for me!)

This (Matt?s) early birth really went quite smoothly. I was able to enjoy having what I had truly wanted most in this - his birth; an all-natural, medication-free, childbirth without an epidural, or episiotomy - tearing of any kind or stitches afterward. For me this time also; not even a whole lot of bleeding before, during or afterwards. Everything just went oh so perfectly! I couldn?t have been more pleased!

Here it?s now been some hours later - Matt has already nursed four times now doing quite well I might add; all that pain which I experienced during his birth is all gone; already forgotten, even my swelling has all but gone way, way down - now I?m however; left with some terrible itching; quite a bit (like crazy - down there) which is more a nuisance than anything else! Since my vaginal-area doesn?t like being touched - right now! I just can?t rub or scratch down there yet! However, my nurse[1] ended up putting some ointment[2] on-all around the vaginal region so it would stop that awful, eternal itching which helps by giving me a cooling-soothing, pains-free ? relief - thank goodness! It feels so much better down there - right now!

[1]   while DH watched, she showed - explained how to apply topical ointment so it wouldn?t cause me any irritation, pain or discomfort in that my vaginal region. So just in case he had to re-apply some ointment later while I was still there and they were busy ?

[2]   Side note: I hope I can take the rest of that tube [if any] as well as have another one or two - taking it home with me ? that stuff really works wonders

I?m now a mom with three BOYS! A husband whom I love - another precious new little life to nurturer!

Let?s add - CONGRATULATIONS to all of you still waiting! Might your up-coming experience(s) be - WONDERFUL just simply W O N D E R F U L too!

It?s getting somewhat late now - let?s bring all this to closure - I?m tired; need some rest, sleep; so here I?ll simply say good night ? thanks for taking time to read! GL!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Birth Story ? (much, much longer version)

• Thanks for sharing... You just made me feel so much better about our choice to really hold out for natural unmedicated childbirth.  It's what I really want and I've been going round in circles trying to figure out how I really feel about the whole birthing situation and looking at all possible scenarios so we're prepared for anything.. since you never know till it happens. 

I know what I want but LO's health and wellbeing have to take priority... so I'm willing to be flexible IF i need to be.

Congratulations on your new family member ... can't wait for more pics :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Laura, thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful birth story. You are so brave and your son is amazing! I want to cry...maybe me being too emotional lol. Thank you for giving us details especially me being a 1st time mom and all i'm a nervous wreck.

Congrats and I wish you all the best!  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"