March 2012 Moms
Options

ohhh GREAT..stupid Doctor (long rant)

So, I went in for my last Dr. appointment today, but unfortunately my normal Dr. & normal NP were out of the office. I didn't really like that my last appointment was going to have to be with some random person that I hadn't met throughout my whole pregnancy..but what can you do, right?

So she asked about my induction on Friday & stated something about Cervidil. I told her the Dr. did not mention that & that he had only talked about using Pitocin. Her response: "Oh wow, I'm surprised he doesn't plan on using that because you don't have a good cervix." Uh..WHAT? How do you know about my cervix? I've been in here for 3 minutes with you and you haven't touched it! This was also shocking to me because after my internal check last week, the Dr. told me my cervix was great & that he thought I would do well with the induction. She checked me, no change from last week. I don't really mind that because I know it isn't really much of an indicator. However, she did say that the babies head is nice & engaged. (YAY) When she went to check for the heartbeat (which both my Dr. & NP find in about 2 seconds) it took her about a minute to find..which may not seem too bad, but man was that one of the longest minutes of my life. She just didn't seem like she knew where to look. Even I find it faster than that with my home doppler.

Moving on, she asked about fetal movement & I told her that I still feel plenty of movement, but it seems a little slowed. I said that I knew it was probably because the baby is getting so big & since it is more rolling than kicking..I just wasn't noticing it as much. She said she wanted to do a NST & check my fluid levels just to be sure everything was ok & baby isn't under any distress. Fine with me, any extra confirmation that she's doing good is perfectly ok here! So I do the NST, pass with flying colors. Move in to get the fluid level check..as she is looking at the screen, she gets a puzzled look on her face & asks if I am drinking enough water..mini freak out in my head, thinking my fluid levels are low..but I told her "Yes, 90-100 oz per day" She doesn't say anything & keeps looking. Finishes & tells me.."Looks great, we like to see a minimum of 10 & you are measuring at 12!" PHEW!

The first thing that irked me was the comment about my cervix. Throughout the whole appointment she just kept making little comments about how she just hopes that the induction actually works, making it seem like she finds it highly unlikely. While I know it is a possibility that it couldn't, my Dr. seemed very certain that it would be a success..which is why I'm ok with the attempt the day after I'm due. As I was getting up to leave, she then says "Oh, and if you notice any change in babies movement, come in..you know, while she looks good now, anything could change within just a couple of hours!" Yes, again, I know this is true..but really, couldn't you let me leave on a positive note so I go home excited about Friday?! AND, come to find out..she is the Dr. that will be on call when I am in the hospital being induced..YAY!

I guess I'm just bothered because I went in so excited to be at the final appointment, and then had to deal with someone who just felt like a Debbie Downer to me. Even my mom (she went with me) said that she didn't like her attitude. I really don't want to deal with someone who is going to have a negative attitude about everything when I am going on what I'm sure will be a long journey & hopefully meeting my baby girl at the end of it! 

Sorry this is so long, and thanks if you read it all! I just needed to get it out. And maybe I'm just whiny & ready to be done..so sorry if this just seems like dumb complaints. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ohhh GREAT..stupid Doctor (long rant)

• Options

Okay silly question- if she is the doctor at the hospital, wouldn't she be the one doing the meds? and if she felt you needed Cervidil, she'd give it to you.

I'm sorry she had such a negative attitude, especially this being the first time you've met her. Good luck on Friday. Did they tell you what time to be there? For me, I was told to get there at 6:30 PM, they'll give me the Cervidil around 8, leave it in for 12 hours. Take it out, I get to shower and then they'll start the Pit and I have my epi then if I want it, or if I want to try natural, they'll let me and I can get the epi later. 

• Options
    Aww, that sucks!!! Is there any way you can switch your induction day to make sure you have the doctor you want? I know you are probably so excited to meet LO so may not be worth it. I hope everything turns out well for you!! Good luck :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageGuppyAmy:

Okay silly question- if she is the doctor at the hospital, wouldn't she be the one doing the meds? and if she felt you needed Cervidil, she'd give it to you.

I'm sorry she had such a negative attitude, especially this being the first time you've met her. Good luck on Friday. Did they tell you what time to be there? For me, I was told to get there at 6:30 PM, they'll give me the Cervidil around 8, leave it in for 12 hours. Take it out, I get to shower and then they'll start the Pit and I have my epi then if I want it, or if I want to try natural, they'll let me and I can get the epi later. 

I have to be there at 8:30 am. I think (hope) she is the Dr. that comes on during the night shift, so she won't be starting me off, just most likely the one that will deliver the baby. But really what I figured was..if they start me off with just Pitocin & notice it's not doing much after just a couple hours, they could just put the Cervidil in then. That is what happened with a friend of mine, and things went on to progress well.

• Options

imageLindsB314:
    Aww, that sucks!!! Is there any way you can switch your induction day to make sure you have the doctor you want? I know you are probably so excited to meet LO so may not be worth it. I hope everything turns out well for you!! Good luck :-)

Well they have 12 hour shifts, so even if I switched to a day where it's my Dr. who is on call..if I make it to the next shift, then I just get another new Dr. who I have never met before & have no guarantee that I will like them either.

The one thing that makes me happy is knowing I will mostly be dealing with the nurses & not the Dr. directly..until baby is ready to come out of course. 

• Options

Sorry you had a bad experience. Are you dilated at all yet?  If not, and you don't want to do the cervadil (and I wouldn't either), you could ask if they can do a foley cath before they start the pitocin. I would actually call about it tomorrow if you want to try it because they may have you come in tomorrow night to put it in before they start the pit the next morning. It is basically a balloon they insert into your cervix and then inflate a bit, it will get you to about 4cm and then fall out. Generally it is seen as much safer than using drugs to jump start dilation.

Good luck with your induction!

m/c 4/4/11 @11w6d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"