Breastfeeding

Need advice/tips - flat nips tmi....

Anyone with flat nipples....how do you bf? I could not do it with my first due to her allergies. I really want to try this time. 

Thanks 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Need advice/tips - flat nips tmi....

• I had flat nipples. Once my milk came in, we needed a nipple shield. We used the shield for about 4 months and then we didn't need it anymore. Flat/inverted nipples are caused by the ligaments that attach your nipple to your breast being too tight. Over time, the suction of BFing will usually stretch out the ligaments and make your nipples un-inverted. That's what happened with us.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemeltoine:
    I had flat nipples. Once my milk came in, we needed a nipple shield. We used the shield for about 4 months and then we didn't need it anymore. Flat/inverted nipples are caused by the ligaments that attach your nipple to your breast being too tight. Over time, the suction of BFing will usually stretch out the ligaments and make your nipples un-inverted. That's what happened with us.
    This for us too- used the shield for two months and then she just transitioned one day!

BFP #1- 4/2011; DD Brynn born 12/2011

BFP #2- 7/13; EDD- 4/2/14; Lost DS at 20 weeks (11/16/13) due to cord accident

BFP #3- 3/14; EDD- 11/28/14; Lost DD at 15 weeks (6/7/14)- cause unknown

To my angels- I held you every second of your lives and I'll love you every second of mine.

• Loading the player...
  • For the first week or two I used a manual pump for about 30 seconds on each breast before nursing.  This seemed to work good enough so I didn't have to use a shield.  After a few weeks I didn't have that problem anymore.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"