May 2012 Moms

When are you gonna stop working??

I'm due may 5th with my second baby and I work full time as a hairstylist and I'm just curious as to when everyone plans to stop working? Last pregnancy I was gonna work till 39 weeks and ended up delivering at 38 weeks so I know there is no guarentee to making it to the day you plan as your last..

Re: When are you gonna stop working??

• I hope to work until I go into labor. I have an office job and 99% of my time is spent sitting at my desk or in a conference room, so it's not exactly strenuous.

But even so, it's getting a LOT harder to drag myself in here every day, so... I hope I make it that far.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I do not have a set date. I will work up until I deliver. I'm not on my feet all day though so I can take it pretty easy. Plus, I don't get paid maternity leave or short term disability so I need to work as much as I can so I can use my vacation time for baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan on working up until I deliver..my job is flexible so I can work from home if I want to..which I intend on doing the last 1-2 weeks or so..If I was on my feet all day that would be a different story, I'd probably stop around 37 or 38 weeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• That has been my plan all along to is just continue working until he makes his arrival.. But I am finding that my body hurts a lot more this time around and think it would be nice to maybe have a week off before baby gets here..
  • I would like to work until I go into labor. I have an office job that is not really stressful at all, so I don't see why I can't do it... 

but I guess it really depends on what my doctor says, and what Kyler does :) 

• imagequeenaag:
    I do not have a set date. I will work up until I deliver. I'm not on my feet all day though so I can take it pretty easy. Plus, I don't get paid maternity leave or short term disability so I need to work as much as I can so I can use my vacation time for baby.

This.

• My plan is to work until I deliver. Like other posters here, I'm at a desk all day.  my job is also really low-stress, and flexible and I work from home twice a week which helps a lot. I don't have any paid leave besides what I've accrued with sick and vacation time so I'm trying to save it all up until the end.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ideally, up until I go into labor.  I want to save all my FLMA leave for when DD2 is here, not use it while I'm just waiting for her to arrive.

Although, my OB did sign me out at 39 weeks with DD1 but my water broke at 38 weeks so I didn't even need that letter from the OB.

I'm really hoping DD2 arrives around 38 weeks too.  If not, I may have my OB sign me out at 40 weeks if DD2 hasn't come by that point and then be induced.

• I'll work up until I go into labor, too.  I want to use all of my time after the baby is born. Last time I was off the day before I had her - but I thought I was in labor then.  I guess I was, just very early stages.  I would love it if this baby came at the end of the week again - worked out great last time for my work and family coming to visit right away. Wishful thinking, right? :)
  • My schedule c-section is May22nd and my last day at the office is May 18th.

• I'm due may 15 and I plan on going out on may 4. Because of the nature of my job and having to train a replacement, it's much easier to have a set date then to just not show up for work the next day because I'm in labor. I also think that I'll enjoy having the week off. Of course, we can't really control when the LO is going to make their arrival, so who knows how it will actually work out! 

• imagejlsweets:
    I plan on working up until I deliver..my job is flexible so I can work from home if I want to..which I intend on doing the last 1-2 weeks or so..If I was on my feet all day that would be a different story, I'd probably stop around 37 or 38 weeks

This. I'll be working remotely for the two weeks before my due date. I'll keep working from home until I deliver.

• My csection is scheduled for Monday, April 30th so Friday, April 27th will be my last day. It works out perfectly. I get a few days with my boys(dh and 2 sons) before our little girl comes in to the world to change things up!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagePotomacSt:

I hope to work until I go into labor. I have an office job and 99% of my time is spent sitting at my desk or in a conference room, so it's not exactly strenuous.

But even so, it's getting a LOT harder to drag myself in here every day, so... I hope I make it that far.

this.  i figure any time i take off before the birth is time i miss with the baby.

• I am a server/bartender 4 nights a week which isn't too crazy since my longest shift is usually 6 hours. I believe in California you can take up to 4 weeks before Lo is due without it taking away from you leave after they are born...if that makes sense. I will have a c-section the week of may 10th (39 weeks) so I am thinking I will take off Around April 19th...which just happens to be THE most INSANE day at my work. Local car show shuts down the whole town and we are slammed all day....so I am thinking that would be a great time to take off:)
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm hoping to get out of work early, but don't want to use up any vacation time.  If my dr pulls me out I can use my temporary disability insurance and won't affect anything but if I go out on my own it's time that I won't be able to spend with LO after he/she gets here.

That being said, my c-section is set for May 17 (Thursday) so assuming I don't get out early I'm looking at probably the 15th or 16th as my last day.

• imagePotomacSt:

I hope to work until I go into labor. I have an office job and 99% of my time is spent sitting at my desk or in a conference room, so it's not exactly strenuous.

This.

For SuzyQ and all March 15 loss moms

BabyFruit Ticker

• Last time I worked up until I gave birth- including a half day the day I had my son.In the last few weeks, there wasn't much to do because I was in the "any day now" mode and most of my work had been turned over to others.

This time around I'm doing it differently. I have a much longer commute that includes a lot of walking on either side. And I'd like to enjoy some time with DS as an only child. I'll go to a meeting that is literally two blocks from my house on the 14th and 15th and then stop working. I'm due the 17th, but expect this guy to be late.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagePotomacSt:

This-and I agree so much, it IS getting so hard to drag myself in here every day....I get up at the same time but it's like I'm moving in slow motion, I just keep getting here later and later......

• My due date is May 6, which is a Sunday, so unless I go into labor early, I plan to work up until that Friday, the 4th. With my first, I planned on working up until my due date as well, but I left a week prior because I was so uncomfortable. I will more than likely be more comfortable working at my desk this time around though, because it's not like I can just go home and rest, as I have a 2 year old. Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My due date is May 5th and I hoping that my doc. will sign me a note to leave work by the 24th or so of April.  I am a teacher, and I don't think I will be able to have the patience or energy to deal with them by that point.
  • I drive all day, so whenever it becomes to hard for me to get behind the wheel, reach the peddles or just drive.  I'm hoping to work until the 10th- I'm due the 11th.  But I really don't want to go into labor at work. 
  • I hope to work up until I go into labor.  But, I work a weird schedule: 5 hours Tuesday after lunch, 12-14 hours Wednesday, 16+ hours Thursday, approx 8 hours Friday.  I'm an video editor currently working on a weekly show.  If the stresses of this schedule are too hard on me, I might switch to a 9-6pm, M-F schedule, and go off editing the show, and do daily projects.  However, if I do that, I will probably use 1 day of vacation time and take off either Monday or Friday at least in the last two weeks before my due date.  I've been on this adjusted schedule for so long, the thought of getting up early 5 days in a row seems REALLY tiring.

I'm not sure what I'll do if I go way past my due date.  I really don't want to take any time off and "waste" the time I could spend with my baby once he/she finally does arrive!  We'll see how I feel, and if anything causes me to need to stay home.  Luckily my boss said that while my due date is May 29th, they will be prepared to replace me as early as May 1st.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• As long as my due date stays consistent, which I know doesn't always happen, I plan on working as long as  I can!

My EDD is May 30th.  I told my supervisor May 25th (Friday before) would be my last day and I would take Tues as a sick day (since Monday is Memorial day and I already get that day).

I joke with my co-workers my water will break under my desk and its a good thing I don't have carpet in my office LOL....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• My original plan was to work right up until the Friday before I'm due (Due on the Monday). It's become increasingly difficult at work lately.... I work a desk job but I deal with a lot of heavy medical files, high volume phone calls, stressful office politics that drive me nuts, etc and I feel myself slipping and not sure I can do it as long as planned. Just today I decided that although I wanted the whole time off with LO I'm goign to cut out early. I have a full year off so really what's a week in the bigger picture if it'll cut down on the stress for me and baby. My last day will be Friday, April 27th. 2 Weeks of that is my vacation and then will leave me on Mat leave 1 week before my EDD. 8 Weeks to go! I can't wait to get out of here!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm having a scheduled c-section so I'm gonna work until one week before.  I need to get some stuff organized, etc. before the baby comes. 

• I am planning on working until the beginning of May... about 3 weeks before my due date (May 25).  I have a long distance to travel to work (most week nights I end up staying with friends now!), so I don't want to go into labour either by myself on the or with a class of 5 year olds!

• Up until I go into labor or just can't do my job anymore. I work with infants at a preschool. My boss is going to make sure there's someone else with me as I need a helper, but I'll work as long as I can.

I kinda want to be over due so I can see the look on peoples faces when I tell them my due date was a week ago. 

• Oh, and I won't get any kind of pay while I'm off for maternity leave so I have to work as long as I can.
  • imagePotomacSt:

Same here, but I'm going to stop working on my due date. It's hard to justify taking off early with a desk job. 

• I plan to work until the baby comes, but my dr told me today if I don't cut back she'll want me to stop sooner. I have a high-stress job, but I love it and don't want to be stuck watching from home... So I'm going to start trying to work just 40 hour weeks to see if that helps. 
    TTC #1 Since 01.2010 | Cycle 19: BFP 09.17.11 | Baby girl born on her due date 05.23.12
  • I am on my feet all day but definatly plan on working till the day after my estimated due date. I want every day possible with my little girl after she comes
  • I have a c/s scheduled for May 7th, so Friday May 4th will be my last working day.  I'm a pharmacist and am on my feet a good chunk of the day.  I only work about 25-30/hrs per week so that helps some.  I think I'd go crazy sitting at home waiting. DD1 was born on a Tuesday am, and I worked that Monday while having contractions until about 4pm.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"