Babies: 0 - 3 Months

For STTN, better to feed frequently or space out feedings?

What seemed to have worked for you?  I feed LO pretty frequently during daytime hours.  She's 9 weeks and I try to feed her before she gets fussy.  I think I counted 9 feedings from midnight to 7:00pm yesterday.  Wondering if it would be better to space out feedings to encourage STTN. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: For STTN, better to feed frequently or space out feedings?

• My understanding is that more frequent daytime feedings help with "filling the tank" so they can STTN. DD eats usually every 2 hours with cluster feeding in the evening and usually gives us 2 4-5 hour stretches at night (she is 7 weeks). It's like no matter what they have to eat so many tomes within 24 hours, so if you get all or most of those in during the day they won't wake so much at night.
    imageimage
  • My DS eats 8 or 9 times every 24 hours. From "wake up for the day" to "back to sleep for the night" it is at least every 2 hours - and typically he wakes up once during the night to eat after sleeping anywhere from 4 - 8(!) hours. Every once in a great while he'll go a little longer without eating, typically in the late afternoon.

I don't know if I'd be able to "force" him to eat, however my little chunker has never been known to turn away a nipple. I just go by his cues!

Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS sleeps for at least 5-6 hours at a time, including from 9:15 pm to 4 am the other night!  We do baby-led feedings, and don't force food on him.  I have noticed that the day preceding a long sleep, he will eat more often during the day.
  • DS always cluster feeds at night and has been sleeping 4-5 hours at night. I think eating frequently definitely helps him sleep longer at night. Usually during the day he eats every 2-3 hours although yesterday he was doing 3-4 hour stretches. 
  • DD eats a lot between the hours of 7am-10pm or so and sleeps from about 10:30-7 with 1 wakeup in between.  If they eat more through the day, I believe it helps their chances of sttn.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Up until a week or so ago, DD was cluster feeding in the evenings a lot. Now she does one really good feeding right before she goes to sleep. She usually eats every 2-3 hours during the day, getting about 7-8 feedings from waking to bedtime and then wakes up 1-2 times at night to eat. For the past couple weeks she has been going 4-7 hours stretches at night. This is all her own doing as we are baby led and have not forced a schedule on her at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"