Success after IF
Options

packing hospital bag - what did you wish you had?

I'm having a hard time remembering 3 years ago when I was in labor and afterward if I had everything I needed and wanted.

I'm getting a list together for my hospital bag.  Of course, I have the standard clothes (for me and DH), coming home outfit, toiletries, camera/chargers, laptop, pillow, snacks, etc.

Was there something that you wished that you had with you, but didn't bring?  Or something that you were so glad that you had with you?

The good news is that our house is literally 5 minutes from the hospital, so won't be hard to get something if we forget!

Allison
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: packing hospital bag - what did you wish you had?

• Options
    I am glad I brought my own pillow since I was not origianlly going to bring it.  I also really need some lanolin one night and the nurses did not have any so I wish I had that.  They also did not have any of the soothies binkies and I thought they would. 
  • Options

Chapstick, Extra camera battery, cell phone charger, hairbands and brush.

I went early and hadn't packed at all. I threw my camera in my bag and off we went, but these are the things I wish we had gone back for but didn't.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

a notebook with a pen and a folder for all the stuff they're going to give you.  I had a c-section but I lived in yoga pants and a nursing tank top with a zip up hoodie.  I felt comfortable enough walking around the room like that yet still comfortable.  Also, and you're going to laugh at this, but some sort of sandal that opens up top (like soccer sandals). my feet were so swollen and I couldn't fit in my sneakers to go home and i felt rediculous walking around the hospital without shoes.  I had to open them up as wide as they'd go but at least I felt "presentable".  Also, I brought my own shampoo to the hospital. I know it's silly, but that first shower was so enjoyable and it really made me feel like me again.  I liked having my own shampoo so I could feel like I was home.  Oh face wipes too, like makeup wipes, becuase it might be a while before you I could wash my face and it also helped make me feel like myself again. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I barely used anything I took and I didn't take that much, but I had a rough recovery and could barely get out of the bed so I didn't take a shower or put on my own clothes until it was time to go home.

The one thing we forgot was the cable to connect our camera to our laptop, which meant we couldn't share most of our pictures until we got home. 

It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

Socks for the baby!

• Options
    Slippers, I just did not want to walk around on the gross hospital floor!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Chapstick. I forgot both times and my lips were so dry until DAh showed up with some day 2.

Extra pairs of comfy socks (c/sec so, there for 4 days). Mints. Paper/ iPad for notes

Snacks? Extra bags to take home all the stuff the hospital sends. If you are re-using jacob's carseat, the instruction book would have been helpful for us.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The only thing I sent DH home for were mittens for her hands.  She kept scratching herself.  Oh and since we ended up staying longer (due to my bleeding issues) I needed extra clothes. But, that's not something you'd really plan for. 

I wish I had forgotten to bring my favorite pillow.  I used it all day and then after they whisked me off to surgery it got lost in the shuffle and was never seen again.  I still miss that pillow :(

After THREE years, our IVF miracle is here!!!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I always forget flip flops for the shower.  (I have slippers ALWAYS, just forget flip flops!)

I also like having a robe, even though it's something extra to pack, so that I can sit for a second after showering but before dressing.  And my own towel.

I also bring my own blanket for the bed (just the throw I use on the couch at home)- the extra weight helps me feel more covered and modest, if that even makes any sense!, plus it's comfy and comforting.

• Options

Like PP, I also had a rough delivery and recovery, so I wore a hospital gown the whole time and the mesh undies they give you.  I tried wearing my own clothes one day and ruined them!  I only needed something comfy to wear home, like yoga pants and a hoodie.  I never got up and walked around so I didn't need a robe or anything.  Laptop and cable/camera and cable were a must.  I also liked having my own toiletries because often they don't have things like conditioner and good lotion (chapstick too).

PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

While I had snacks packed for my DH, he went out and bought his own because what I packed wasn't satisfactory, so maybe let him pick out his own snacks.

I was really happy that I had a couple pairs of those fluffy socks. Wore them thru labor and until I went home. I was also so happy to have hair ties for labor.

I wish I had brought more of my own clothes to wear during my stay as I got sick of hospital garb. I already got a robe for christmas that is going in my hosp bag.

I think my DH also wished he had reading material for after the birth. I recall sitting around doing nothing sometimes.

I think for my next labor, I'll bring my i-pod. I'm also thinking about bringing some photo's of Henry, or something to focus on/look at during labor. I remember that I kept focusing on some strange thing on the ceiling of my labor/delivery room and I wish I had something with more meaning to focus on. Oh, and after looking as some pictures of me shortly after labor with Henry (just today in fact), I think I'm going to bring some blush and lip gloss. I looked like a pale ghost!

Henry and Papa at the farm
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wish I didn't bring as much crap. I had too many of my own clothes. I only changed out of the johnnies once. I wish I brought my boppy with me.
  • Options
    Something to cut/file baby's nail. My kiddos must have been born with claws. Hairbrush also comes in handy (unless DH forgets it at home both times).
  • Options
    My own bath towel! The hospital ones Are tiny & rough! My own lotion. Chapstick. Slippers. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

DS1 was 7 weeks early so there was NO time to pack.

I wished we'd had a video camera, a hair elastic, snacks.  With DS2 def. glad we had the video camera and more candy than I could remember (courtesy of gest. diabetes).  You are getting so close!

Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"