January 2012 Moms
Options

how much spit up is to much?

I'm kind of nervous about my LO's spit up this morning. He spit up 4 times after eating at 11. He spit up a tablespoon or more each time. I have a cold and I'm nervous it has something to do with that.  He  doesn't have a fever or anything else. Is this normal or too much?
Steph

Re: how much spit up is to much?

• Options
    I was worried about my LO spitting up a lot too and called the Pedi one day. The nurse I talked to said "spit up isn't a baby problem it's just a laundry problem" she said it looks like more than it is cuz it's mixed with saliva. Sometimes my LO spits up a bunch, sometimes not at all.

Married my best friend 5/2/2008
    TTC our first miracle since November 2010
    BFP 3/16/2011 Chemical Pregnancy 3/20/2011

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

Hi There,

My daughter spits up a lot.  I mean sometimes she will spit up what looks like ounces and it will happen a few times after a feeding.  I was freaked out and went to the Doc and here is what I learned:

Spit up is normal and can end up just being a "laundry problem" so you might want to invest in extra detergent.  So long as your baby doesn't seem to be in pain or the spit up shoots across the room you are most likely fine.  Also, if your baby is gaining weight than you are good too! Finally, track his diapers.  Make sure you are getting lots of poops and pees....to tell you if he is getting enough to eat.

As far as him getting sick from you that can depend...are you breastfeeding?  I had a stomach thing this weekend a DD was fine.  It turns out she was probably immunized from my milk before I even got sick. 

FInally when in doubt - call your doc.  They will be the best ones to tell you if he is OK or not.

HTH!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What to expect the first year says it is just a problem if it is projectile vomit.
  • Options

If it's more than 3 tablespoons each time then I would talk to the pediatrician. Also, babies need 5-6 wet diapers a day to not be considered dehydrated. It doesn't matter how often the baby poops because some babies only poop once every 3-4 days anyway as they get older.

imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Our LO has acid reflux. She started spitting up and it would come out her nose and she would cry when she burped. If your LO is just spitting up and it doesn't seem to bother them then it's probably not a big deal. I would give it a few days and if LO is still spitting up a lot consistently then go see the dr. Our ped. said we could use Enfamil A.R. which is thicker and can cut back on the spit up but she seems to be doing better with the new bottles and the meds so we are still using the newborn formula.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"